Featured Post

Delivery Time! Cards from Kerry of Cards on Cards

"I'll set aside my Eric Freaking Gagne relic for you. That's right. I have it."
-Kerry from Cards on Cards

And with that, a trade was commenced.

Awhile back I sent Kerry an envelope full of cards, mostly Allen & Ginter and Heritage cards though I did throw in some other Cardinals.  You can read about his end of the swap on his blog entry here.

Besides the Eric Gagne that I wanted (since I'm collecting as many of the A&G "hits" as I can), Kerry also threw in a bunch of assorted Reds cards.  Amongst my favorites (for various reasons) were:

2004 Topps - Edwin Encarnacion

Edwin never really struck me as a very smart individual, but he showed just enough flashes of baseball brilliance to capture my attention.  Unfortuantely for Edwin, he should have payed more attention to fireworks since he recently injured himself when a firework exploded and hurt his face.

2008 Opening Day Tattoo - Cincinnati Reds

Seriously, I liked this card because it instantly brought me back to my childhood.  I remember opening packs of 1990 and 1991 Fleer hoping to get a Cincinnati Reds logo sticker.  It seems like I was able to pull every other team, but the Reds logo always seemed to elude me.  This tattoo proves that the Reds logo does exist in similar products...and that I'm simply lousy at finding them.  And yes, I know I scanned it upside down...but it's too late.  Use your imagination kids.

1996 Pinnacle - Bret Boone

Part ballet, part umpire...and totally awesome.  This shot of Boone is great, between the mysterious person sliding into second, the rather strange camera angle (usually the pitcher is in the way of such a shot), and the flying dirt everywhere, I love this photo.  I'm fairly certain that this picture violates a lot of photography rules though, especially since you can't actually see any player's face, and both players managed to get cut-off at least a bit.  I don't care though, it's still wicked cool as the Bostonians will tell you.

1996 Topps Finest - Eric Davis

I don't know anything about this set...apparently there were 8-bajillion themes since the back of the card is numbered Theme:  A34 - Common.  The back of the card is also interesting because it only shows one year's worth of statistics..and Eric Davis didn't play at all in the previous year.  Instead of showing something useful, Topps slapped a "Did Not Play" in the statistic box and moved onto the next card. 

And finally, Kerry threw in a bunch of Barry Larkins.  It's amazing that people keep sending me Larkins that I don't have!  These will all (eventually) make their way to my Barry Larkin Collection series...but until then you'll have to study the picture to figure out what I got.

Thanks a lot Kerry!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to work out a trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. I like that relic of Gagne. I know you liked getting those assorted Reds cards, too.

    I just visited SN, and read about Fantasy Baseball being discontinued on there. I'm no longer going to contribute there either. I'm not sure if you even know, but Jeff Gerttula is working for CBSSports since last summer after leaving SN. Things have gotten many times worse since he left.

    Sorry for going off-topic, but I'll still come by here on occasion. Later bro!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment