Featured Post

Delivery Time! A Few More 2011 Topps for My Collection

My 2011 Topps Series 1 set is nearing completion.  Like a fool, I decided to try and track down all of the inserts as well as the base set (and the diamond set).  The latest package from David over at My Cardboard Passenger helped me inch closer to completing a variety of the insert sets, plus the diamond set!

Now, in an effort to keep your attention throughout the trade post - I'll give my pithy comments for each of the cards.  Enjoy.

Let's take a look:

Topps 60:
T60-18.  Keith Hernandez

Keith has the third highest career on-base percentage amongst Mets batters (only Dave Magadan and John Olerud are better).  David Wright happens to be fourth on the list, a full 0.004 percentage points behind Hernandez.  Even more interesting, the sixth place OBP Met:  Benny Agbayani.

History of Topps:
HOT-2.  1951 - First Cards are Sold

I suppose selling your first cards constitutes a major milestone for a card company.  Did you know that the first packs of Topps came with a piece of caramel candy wrapped inside the packs?

60 Years of Topps:
60YOT-15.  Al Kaline

For awhile, I thought that Kaline wasn't getting the proper respect from Topps...however, the past few years it seems like I've gotten a whole bunch of Kaline cards.  I wish Topps would mix up the players more if they are going to continue to mine the past for new cards.

60YOT-29.  Paul Molitor

This is a reprint of Paul Molitor's first Topps card in which he appeared alone.  The rest of the blurb on the back of the card talks about Rickey Henderson...maybe Rickey should have been the player featured instead.

60YOT-32.  Ozzie Smith

The back of the card says that this card has a  "strong action shot."  I'm not sure how one defines strong action vs. weak action - but I do know that I wouldn't call the backswing of an at-bad a "strong" action.

Diamond Duos:
DD-HJ.  Rickey Henderson & Desmond Jennings

Rickey has 297 career homers, 1115 career RBIs, and a .279 career average.  Jennings?  0 career home runs, a mere 2 RBIs, and an average of .190.  Apparently the two players were paired up because both are/were known for their speed.  Jennings has 50 steals in the minors in '09.

DD-UR.  Chase Utley & Jimmy Rollins

Finally, a pairing that actually makes sense.  The Phillies appear to have a really good team this year (which is too bad for the rest of the NL), but ask the Yankees, the best team on paper doesn't always win...that's why they play the games!

60 Years of Topps - The Lost Cards:
60YOTLC-7.  Bob Feller

I actually like the Lost Cards idea quite a bit - most of them look pretty sharp.  I only wish there was more variety in the players depicted (which seems like a common complaint for many of the insert sets in general this year).

And finally, David traded me a bunch of Diamond parallel cards - each of which netted him an entry in my on-going contest!

Thanks for the great trade David!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments