Featured Post

Delivery Time! Shiny Reds from the Sewing Machine Guy

While it's definitely true that I enjoy completing large trades (after all, the larger the trade, the more cards I can knock off my want list), I also enjoy small trades.  There's nothing wrong with swapping one or two cards with a fellow blog reader - and sometimes, it's a great way to acquire a new card or two that I otherwise wouldn't have had!

One of my latest swaps (actually, I lie - this envelope arrived sometime near the beginning of March but I haven't had a chance to write about it until now) is from Larry the Sewing Machine Guy.  I sent Larry a 2010 Topps 2020 insert card that he wanted - in return, Larry sent me a couple of Reds refractors for my team collection.

2008 Topps Chrome:
Blue refractor:
110.  Aaron Harang


It's going to be weird seeing Harang pitch for a different team - at this point, I can only hope he pitches like he did for the Reds the last few seasons (in a word:  awful).  I was a big fan of Harang's back when the Reds were terrible, but in the last couple of years he really seemed unwilling to accept the fact that he wasn't pitching well at all.  He seemed more interested in blaming his woes on the manager (rightly or wrongly - that's debatable).  I actually hope he becomes a good pitcher again (except when he faces the Reds of course).  As for the card, I think the blue refractors are my favorite type - and between the blue border and the red and white uniforms, this makes for one patriotic card!


2009 Bowman Chrome:
Refractor:
62.  Joey Votto


Ah yes, one of my favorite current Reds!  I basically never buy Bowman, so usually any Bowman cards that people send my way are new to me.  In this case, we have a photo of Votto where it appears he is trying out for a gymnastics team (or is it squad?)...  According to the back of the card, Votto "projects to above-average defensively".  I will say that he seemed MUCH better in the field last year as compared to 2009.  He still turns double-plays in a way that looks completely unnatural, but if it works, why fix it?


Thanks for the trade Larry!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments