Featured Post

Topps National Chicle Box: Packs 05 and 06

It's time for the next two packs out of the National Chicle box.  You can find the last three packs here (which included my first short print out of the box).  Will the next pair of packs produce anything cool?  Let's find out!

Pack 05:
5.  Prince Fielder
I'm not sure the world's fattest vegetarian would appreciate this photo.  Nothing like making a really large guy appear even fatter in the face in a close-up painting.  As you can tell, I don't care for this card at all - but since I need it for the set, I won't complain (much) more about...though I have to say the Brewers "M" on the helmet also really bothers me.
12.  Raul Ibanez
223.  Carl Yastrzemski
257.  Madison Bumgarner
258.  Gordon Beckham
115.  Lance Berkman - National Chicle Back
The National Chicle backs are seeded 1:4 packs.  I know that I have no interest in tracking down any of the different parallels from the set - so this one will be for trade.  Once the box is completely busted and sorted, I'll have a "for trade" list as well as a "want list" for the set.  It'd be really nice to finish this set off before the madness of Allen & Ginter this summer!





















Pack 06:

21.  J.A. Happ
109.  Nelson Cruz
186.  Alfonso Soriano
189.  Mat Gamel
220.  Dale Murphy
245.  Whitey Ford - National Chicle Back
Well, I'm slightly ahead of the stated pack odds now that I've pulled two National Chicle back cards in only six packs.  I suppose I should be happy about that - but as someone who has decided to collect the set, the parallel backs are nothing more than a card that I am certain to "not be able to use" in my set.  Even so, I have a feeling it will make nice trade bait - it is a nice card after all!








Well, another two packs down - and while I did nab my first two parallel cards, I didn't find any more short prints (which are the bane of all set collectors)!  These weren't the most exciting packs - in fact, the fifth pack was full of terrible paintings - if that were the first pack I had ever opened, I probably would have dismissed this set immediately!

Comments

  1. can`t you just trow the chicle backs in the binder and pretend they`re regular base? No one has to know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've hit on the big problem with Chicle - there are enough horrible paintings to make people not want to collect the set.

    I have two packs of Chicle that I opened last year. That was enough for me to not want to collect the set. You can have as many of them as you want.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment