Featured Post

Group Break #5: 1993 Upper Deck - Pack 01

Alright, we've had a pair of preview packs with the sole purpose of getting all the team slots claimed.  As of the moment I'm writing this post (by now you know that I try to work ahead), I haven't even posted the first of the two previews so I have no idea if all the teams are claimed or not.  As such, let's start with a box that I know will be in the group break - 1993 Upper Deck.

The Upper Deck packs happen to be jumbo packs - 27 cards per pack!   Usually, whenever I do a group break I always put the cards in order before I list them on the blog (only to then mess them back up when I sort them by team).  I guess it's the OCD in me...  That said, I don't think I'll bother to order the Upper Deck cards, I'll just list 'em any which way - but I will put the insert at the bottom just to give you a reason to scroll all the way down.

1993 Upper Deck:
Pack 1:


39.  Community Heroes:  Dave Stewart - Athletics

There are a few subsets in the 1993 set, the Community Heroes and the Star Rookies both occur at the beginning of the set.  I happen to like the Community Heroes cards quite a bit, in fact, I remember loving these as a kid simply because they were different from so many of my other cards (the highlight the player's involvement in the community rather than on the baseball diamond).
267.  Wes Chamberlain - Phillies
242.  Danny Tartabull - Yankees
276.  Ben McDonald - Orioles
182.  Mike Moore - Athletics
94.  Luis Sojo - Angels
128.  Mark Langston - Angels
312.  Alan Mills - Orioles
408.  Frank Castillo - Cubs
80.  Rick Sutcliffe - Orioles
88.  Mark Lewis - Indians

The 93 Upper Deck is a fan favorite for good reason - many of the photos are excellent (both on the front and back of the cards).  Take, for example, this Mark Lewis card.  He gets a hilarious shot of him on a temporary toilet in the middle of the dugout (complete with photoshopped Upper Deck logo) while the back of the card shows Lewis throwing a baseball in such a way that it's a wonder his arm didn't snap off.


419.  Willie Randolph - Mets
395.  Doug Henry - Brewers
354.  Reggie Sanders - Reds
311.  Jeff Parrett - Athletics
328.  Ricky Bones - Brewers
208.  Scott Scudder - Indians
216.  Chris Hammond - Reds
267.  Wes Chamberlain - Phillies (again)
235.  Chad Curtis - Angels
146.  Ozzie Smith - Cardinals

Unlike Gypsy Queen, Ozzie wasn't a retired star in 1993 - he was an actual star!
188.  Rene Gonzales - Angels
159.  Steve Buechele - Cubs
141.  Dave Fleming - Mariners
72.  Hipolito Pichardo - Royals
5.  Star Rookie - Manny Alexander - Orioles
HR20.  Homerun Heroes:  Ray Lankford - Cardinals

The Homerun Heroes cards have an slightly raised bat at the bottom of the card where the player's name is printed.  It's just enough of a difference from the regular base cards to feel a bit special (literally feel in this case)!

Comments