Featured Post

Group Break #5: A Preview of 1999 Fleer Mystique (Pack 1)

As I hope everyone is aware of, I am about to begin another group break - this one continues my trend of group breaks involving boxes of older (and hopefully interesting) sets!  There are still a few slots left - and remember, if all the slots are taken I'm throwing in an extra box of cards (Stadium Club - Relic Edition).  Snap up the few remanining slots!

For today's post, I thought I'd give an "early preview" to one of the Fleer Mystique packs so that people have a chance to see what this box is all about - and, just maybe, persuade people to claim the last few remaining slots!

The 1999 Fleer Mystique set was a hobby exclusive set.  The box we are opening contains 24 packs (4 cards per pack).  According to the box, there is an auto in every other box of Mystique (so we have a 50/50 chance at an auto).  There is also a sticker on the box saying the box "includes Feel the Game numbered memorabilia cards."  I have no idea if that means there is one relic per box or not - and the specific odds for relics are not given.

I already detailed the other insert sets in the original group break announcement, so let's take a look at the first pack!

1999 Fleer Mystique
Pack 1:


8.  Bobby Abreu - Phillies

As you can see below, the card backs are also pretty nice.  You get three years worth of statistics plus a nice write-up and a full color photo that differs from the front of the card.  The whole thing feels fairly "upscale" - I like it!  It ought to be a fun box to break (for the record, this was the first pack of Mystique from any year that I've ever opened)!


16.  Cliff Floyd - Marlins

The cards are shiny on the front, sort of a refractor-esque appearance behind the player.  The player name and team logo are both shiny as well.  There is a little tiny bit of curling on the Floyd card, that seems to be a common problem with higher end cards from the late 90s, early 00s - I seem to remember something similar with a different box of high end Fleer that I opened during a different break (EX maybe)?  Even so, the cards still look nice - and only the Floyd shows any curling in this pack.
59.  Shawn Green - Blue Jays

Mystique is known for having a "mystery card" in each pack.  In the 1999 set, the mystery cards were covered with a sparkly blue cover as you can see below.  The front and back of the cards are covered, so there is no way to know what card you got without removing the cover.  I also believe that most of the inserts and other "good" cards are hidden under the mysterious blue shiny wrapping.

Luckily, the covers come off fairly easily - in this case, our mystery card is:
110.  A.J. Burnett - Marlins  (#ed 1734/2999)

And wouldn't you know it, the first pack in the group break and we already have a serialized card!  Things are looking good so far (especially for the Marlins in the early going)!  Of course, there are a few slots left - you don't want to miss out.  Claim now!

Comments

  1. You sir, are a group breaking machine. Good luck on filling it up, hopefully the first insert being from an unclaimed team will speed things up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan, I do what I can! I would like to say I picked the pack out purposely to show off an insert, but alas, I wrote this post a few days ago before I even knew which teams would be left over. I can say safely now that I've busted a couple of the packs to get the posts done ahead of time and currently the team with the most cards hasn't been claimed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment