Featured Post

Gypsy Queen Break Begins: Pack 01

Alright, the boxes are finally here and ready to opened!  Before we begin, I want to remind everyone who has which teams:


Arizona Diamondbacks - Sports Jerks
Chicago Cubs - Sports Jerks
Colorado Rockies - Sports Jerks
Pittsburgh Pirates - Sports Jerks
San Francisco Giants - Sports Jerks
Washington Nationals - Sports Jerks
Atlanta Braves - Derek H.
Tampa Bay Rays - Derek H.
Texas Rangers - Derek H.
Milwaukee Brewers - TheBrooklynMet
New York Mets - TheBrooklynMet
Detroit Tigers - Ryan G.
Los Angeles Dodgers - Ryan G.
Baltimore Orioles - TheStark
Boston Red Sox - Joe
Chicago White Sox - lifetimetopps
Cinncinnati Reds - Nachos Grande
Cleveland Indians - Baseball Dad
Florida Marlins - WickedOrtega
Minnesota Twins - -David
New York Yankees - The Lost Collector
Oakland Athletics - Nathan
Philadelphia Phillies - Dan
San Diego Padres - Rod
Seattle Mariners - lifetimetopps
St. Louis Cardinals - Ike's Cards

The following teams went unclaimed, so if we get any hits from them, they go to me:
Toronto Blue Jays
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Los Angeles Angels

And with that, it's time to open the first pack of Box #1:

Box 1 - Pack 1:
19.  Jon Lester - Red Sox
50.  Al Kaline - Tigers

I like the fact that old players are mixed in the set.  I hope they have a nice variety and not the same 'ol players as usual - I haven't looked at the checklist very carefully as you can tell.  I do know, however, that there is a Barry Larkin card in the set - so you know what I'm hoping for!
117.  Dallas Braden - Athletics
175.  Edwin Jackson - White Sox
204.  Neftali Feliz - Rangers
208.  Mike Stanton - Marlins
As you can see, the backs of the cards are fairly clean.  They feature a short write up and absolutely no statistics.  Normally, I would hate not having some stats on the backs, but after looking at both base Topps and Topps Heritage for the past four months or so, these card backs are a welcome change of pace.
213.  Rick Porcello - Tigers
229.  Alex Gonzalez - Braves
I don't have anything exciting to say about this particular card other than the fact that I liked it.
Regular back mini:
281.  Juan Pierre - White Sox

I really like mini cards, so obviously I'm going to be a sucker for a set like Gypsy Queen.  In many ways, this set seems to be "Allen & Ginter - the Baseball Edition".  The basic set-up is the same, but almost all the cards are baseball related.  In fact, other than the Gypsy cards I think all the cards are baseball related in the set.
The Great Ones:
GO16.  Nolan Ryan - Astros

Right off the bat we find an insert for an unclaimed team.  I made the offer once before, and I'll make it one last time - if you want ALL four remaining teams (Astros, Royals, Angels, and Blue Jays), you may have them for $35.00.  This will include at least one insert for sure now that I've opened up the Nolan Ryan card.  This offer will cease to exist as soon as the next pack is posted - so act now or don't complain if all the good cards in the box belong to those four teams - you've all had your chance!

As for the first pack, not a bad start.  The Nolan Ryan is nice (and I'll be happy to have it in my collection should no one claim the last four teams).  The Tigers and White Sox each picked up two cards which puts those two teams in the early lead for "most cards."  The Sports Jerks grabbed six teams in the break - and yet, not one of those teams was present in the first pack.  That, my friend, is the wonder of a small sample size - I wouldn't expect that particular trend to last much longer!

Comments

  1. I'm so tempted to take those teams. I just can't do it. I have that money tied up somewhere else. I hope you pull a Ryan Astros auto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take the last 4 teams! FINE! TWIST MY ARM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dimwit, the last four teams are yours - congrats on the Nolan Ryan already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you don't pull one I've got a bronze framed barry larkin here that can be yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment