Featured Post

Monday, Monday, Monday (TCDB)

Delivery Time! Wrinkly Rappers Send Me Cards

*Warning:  Videos probably not safe for work*  *I don't know for sure because I didn't watch them all the way through.*


According to 100bestrapsongs.com, this is one of the top 100 rap songs.  I'm not sure that Fabulous is overly wrinkly though, so maybe I ought to find an older rapper.

Let's see who else is in the Top 100...


Ah yes, Crooked I, that's a wrinkly rapper.

Oh wait, it wasn't wrinkled rappers that sent me baseball cards, it was Crinkly Wrappers!

I always get my letters confused.

One thing that wasn't confused is the trade that Ted and I recently completed (and this one was actually fairly recent, no April trade posts here!)

Anyhow, I sent Ted a Diamond error card of David Price plus a Kimball mini that he needed.  In return, Ted sent me several cards from my want list!  Once again, since this was a fairly large envelope of cards, let's do a Top 10!

#10:
1991 Topps:  Barry Larkin
I already had this card (you can read about it here in my Barry Larkin Collection), however, it's a great card of my favorite player so I couldn't leave it off my Top 10!

#9:
2011 Topps:
Topps 60:
T60-79.  Rickey Henderson

This card makes my Top 10 for the back of the card - the topic for the Topp 10 is "Athletics' Single-Season Stolen Base Leaders".  Ricky takes the top three spots (130, 108, and 100) along with 7th (twice with 66) and then 9th (with 65).  That's right, Rickey holds six of the A's top 10 stolen base seasons....now THAT'S a card that's worthy of Topps 60 recognition!

#8:
2011 Topps:
60 Years of Topps:
60YOT-118.  Buster Posey

If I ever had a MLB rookie card, I think I would want it to look like Buster's.  It's a nice shot of a young guy about to take the field with his catcher gear in tow.  The side orange curve goes great with the Giants logo and uniform too.  All told, it's a slick looking card.  Now, whether or not a 2010 card is worth reprinting in a 2011 set is a completely different issue that I won't discuss here (except to say that, no, 2010 cards should not be reproduced a year later).

#7:
2011 Topps:
Diamond parallel:
422.  Juan Pierre

Ted sent me three diamond parallels (which nets him three entries into my contest).  I didn't particularly find any of the three overly exciting so Pierre gets the nod in slot #7 since it's a nice action shot.

#6:
2007 Topps '52:
78.  Jon Coutlangus

While I'm glad I didn't have to try and survive high school with Coutlangus's name, this is a nice rookie card for a guy who never really did pan out.  That said, the Topps '52 set is a set that I would like to complete someday - though I can't say I ever see that happening.

#5:
2011 Topps:
Topps Town (Series 2):
TT2-18.  Brandon Phillips

Ok, I'll admit that I have NO IDEA why I thought it would be a good idea to collect the Topps Town set.  I am collecting it though, so any card that I still need from this crappy set is actually appreciated.  At least it's a Red - and one of my favorite current players no less.

#4:
1990 Upper Deck:
Reds Sticker:

I used to love stickers in my baseball cards.  As a card collector at the ripe age of eight in 1990, stickers were awesome.  I distinctly remember having a little red plastic case that was made for cards - there was a shelf for each MLB team where you could put your cards.  Unfortunately, that red case wasn't meant for expansion - but until the Marlins and Rockies came along I used to use that little red case all the time.  Even better, the entire back side (plus the inside of the two doors) was covered in baseball stickers that I got from different packs (probably why I have a soft spot for Fleer to this day as well)!

#3:
2011 Topps Attax:
16.  Andrew McCutchen

Even though the Pirates are ahead of the Reds in the standings (at least as of the time I'm writing this post), it's really hard for me to root against the Buccos.  In fact, except for when the Pirates play the Reds I'll be rooting for Pittsburgh for the rest of the season (unless of course it comes down to Reds/Pirates for the division crown - which it probably won't).

#2:
2005 Some Upper Deck set that I didn't feel like trying to figure out what it was:
46.  Johnny Bench

Did you ever notice that Upper Deck wised up to the fact that you couldn't tell their sets apart in either '07 or '08?  They eventually started writing their set name in small print at the bottom of the card back - that's helpful.  I don't know what set this card belongs to (and frankly, I don't really care).  It's an awesome card of Bench who seems to be saying "go ahead, try to steal third.  I'll throw you out left handed punk."

#1:
2011 Topps:
60 Years of Topps:
60YOT-77.  Johnny Bench

An awesome reprint - and certainly more worthy of reprinting than the '10 Posey card that I featured above.  I'm a big fan of the card - and maybe someday I'll even own the original!

Thanks for the cards Ted!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. That #2 Bench card is from Upper Decks Past Time Pennants (the name is in the Upper Deck Logo on the front of the card). Each hobby box came with a vintage remake of a wool pennant. I think it was a 100 card set and you got the whole set in one box as well as on card autos. I bought a couple of them hoping to get a Tigers pennant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment