Featured Post

Hello eBay - I See You Are Tempting Me Again.

I spent too much time on eBay last week looking for cheap Barry Larkin cards that I could add to my collection.  After purchasing this lot in a moment of weakness, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't bid on any more Larkin cards unless they were either a hit (relic or auto) or a serially-numbered card.  The thinking behind my self-imposed requirements was that I could probably trade for most of Larkin's not-so-rare cards through a combination of begging, bartering, and more begging.

What happened?  I found a pair of auctions (different sellers) each selling a single Larkin card...and both were serially-numbered cards.  So I put in a low bid (and won) each...so here's two more cards...  As always, each card will get its own proper post at some point...but honestly I'm so far behind in posting my Larkin cards who knows when that will happen!

First up, another Topps Tier One card:

Did I say another?  Yes, I did.  You see, I'm an idiot - and this one more reason why I can't collect parallel sets.  According to the scan of the card in the eBay auction, this card looked like it had a much darker background.  I knew I had a Larkin Tier One card numbered to 199 but the color looked different so I bid.

Well, you guessed it - the card arrives in my mailbox, I open, and I see that I'm holding proof that I'm an idiot.  In a strange quirk, I now own card 151/199 and card 152/199.  That's cool I guess, maybe I should try to play parallel card rummy since I'm working on a straight.

Next up, a card that I did need (thankfully):

This one is from the 1997 Leaf set and it's funky.

The card is die-cut and the blue ribbon is actually felt.  The other side features Paul Molitor and has red felt.  Totally overdone in a 90s kind of way - I love it!

Comments