Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

My First Purchased (New) Cards of 2012

By the time you read this, I should be back home!  For those that don't know, I spent a bit more than a week aboard a Royal Caribbeans cruise ship.  The cruise was my wife's and I first foray into the wide world of cruising - hopefully we had a blast (I'm writing this post the day before we leave).  I'm sure I'll have a full report at some point later this week...

Anyhow, since I had to run to the local Wal*Mart to get a few last minute supplies, I (accidentally?) stopped by the card aisle and was instantly intrigued by two blasters of 2012 Topps Archives.  I decided I ought to purchase them since A)  I haven't purchased a single 2012 pack of cards yet and B) I could use some trade bait in an effort to acquire more cards from my want list!  And heck, the cards look nice based on what I've seen on other people's blogs.

I know that the cards are probably "old news" by the time you read my post, but bear with me.  I like to do things my way - so let's take a look at the first blaster (by the way, I haven't opened the second blaster quite yet - I am forcing myself to wait until I have this post completed)!

2012 Topps Archive:
Blaster #1:

Pack 1:
12.  Pablo Sandoval
18.  Tom Seaver
61.  Brian McCann
67.  Justin Verlander
110.  Jose Bautista
152.  Johnny Cueto

Alright, my first Red from the set!
163.  Aramis Ramirez
210.  Sandy Koufax

According to the online checklist, card numbers 201 - 240 are all short printed.  There is also a super short print card #241 of Bryce Harper.  In blasters, the short prints are seeded 1:4 packs - and with 8 packs in a blaster, you would expect two short prints per blaster...which means you'd need 25 blasters with perfect collation to achieve the full short set (ignoring Mr. Harper entirely)...  Yikes!

Pack 2:
4.  Matt Garza
42. Aroldis Chapman
92.  Jordan Walden
104.  Yovani Gallardo
118.  Desmond Jennings
155.  Ichiro
169.  Michael Morse
1977 Cloth Stickers:  77C-WS  Willie Stargell

The 1977 Cloth Stickers are seeded 1:6 packs.  I think I like this year's version of the cloth stickers better than last year's Lineage version.

Pack 3:
50.  Albert Pujols
80.  Troy Tulowitzki
100.  Miguel Cabrera
125.  David Freese
140.  Buster Posey
175.  Justin Morneau
186.  Brian Wilson
Topps Reprint:  Brooks Robinson

The Topps Reprint cards are seeded 1:4 packs.  Of all the various insert sets in the blaster, I am least interested in the Topps Reprint cards (except for any Reds I suppose).  As such, if you are interested in the Robinson let me know!

Pack 4:
26.  Paul Konerko
34.  Jaime Garcia
76.  Victor Martinez
84.  Nyjer Morgan
128.  Shin-Soo Choo
136.  David Ortiz
180.  David Wright
1969 Deckle Edge:  69DE-5.  David Freese

The Deckle Edge cards are seeded 1:12 packs.  Quite honestly, I'm not sure whether I love these or hate 'em...  There are only 15 in the set - and 8 of the 15 are retired stars (which I like).

Pack 5:
21.  Jeremy Hellickson
44.  Cal Ripken Jr.
71.  Jimmy Rollins
94.  Anibal Sanchez
122.  Dustin Pedroia
172.  James Shields
190.  Josh Hamilton
219.  Cecil Cooper

My second short print of the blaster.  Here's hoping I end up with an extra short print just to help me with completing the set!

Pack 6:
13.  Mark Teixeira
47.  Drew Pomeranz
62.  Hanley Ramirez
113.  Ryan Howard
145.  Howie Kendrick
164.  Kevin Youkilis
192.  Brad Peacock
1967 Topps Stickers:  67S-MM.  Mickey Mantle

I guess if you are going to pull a sticker, it might as well be of Mickey Mantle huh?  The 1967 Stickers are seeded 1:8 packs - they are actually rarer than the cloth stickers (which seems strange to me).

Pack 7:
5.  Freddie Freeman
54.  Jemile Weeks
98.  Johan Santana
101.  Adrian Gonzalez
148.  R.A. Dickey
156.  Ubaldo Jimenez
195.  Brandon Morrow
Topps Reprint:  Robin Yount

Another reprint card - this one is also available for trade.

Pack 8:
8.  Matt Moore
33.  Jon Lester
65.  Jordan Zimmerman
83.  Craig Kimbrel
105.  Torii Hunter
135.  Mike Napoli
184.  Jim Rice
1968 Topps 3D:  Willie Mays

There are 15 cards in the 1968 Topps 3D set and each are seeded at a rate of 1:8 packs (aka 1 per blaster). Not a bad way to end the blaster.

My review?

Much like Topps Lineage from last year, each pack offers up an interesting insert.  Sure, some are better than others (which is pretty much true of any set) but there's enough variety to keep anyone interested, at least for awhile.  I would have liked the based cards to be printed on the old cardboard stock rather than the glossy (and thin) modern stuff, but otherwise, this is a nice set!

I'm looking forward to opening up the second blaster right now!

Comments

  1. I have picked up some regular Topps 2012 and I am loving the 1987 minis inserts. Haven't bought any of the Archives yet though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment