Featured Post

Delivery Time! Bowman Platinum from Scott over at Sports Cards Ate My Brain

In the last few days, I've received a couple of different trade packages that have put a serious dent into my 2011 Bowman Platinum want list!  In fact, I have high hopes that I might be able to finish the set after all!  Today's envelope full of cards is courtesy of Scott over at Sports Cards Ate My Brain.  Here are the highlights:

6.  Miguel Cabrera

Did you know that on 6/20/06 (that's 1906), Honus Wagner hit a homerun but couldn't score after getting hurt in a collision with the first baseman?  That's the kind of information that I appreciate on a baseball card!  You might wonder why it was on Cabrera's card though, but it was because Cabrera made his MLB debut on 6/20/03 (that's 2003).

11.  Justin Upton

Upton made is MLB debut on 8/2/07 - on the same day in 1938, yellow baseballs were used as an experiment in the first game of a double header between the Dodgers and Cardinals.  Rumor has it the Cardinals whined.

46.  Kendrys Morales

Morales' MLB debut occured 101 years to the day when the Louisville Colonels were forced to forfeit a game to Brooklyn because they ran out of baseballs in the third inning.  Whoops!

65.  Albert Pujols

Pujols debut was on 4/2/01 - 19 years after Oakland manager Billy Martin instructed Steve McCatty to up to the plate in a spring training with a toy bat in order to protest the designated hitter rule.

I think the interesting facts on the back of the Platinum cards are easily the best part of the set (and a big reason why I decided to chase the entire set).  Only a few more cards to go before I have the full thing (can you help?)...  Heck, if I get down to needing only one or two cards you'll probably find them lurking on my Elusive 8 list!

Thanks for the trade Scott - and if anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments