Featured Post

Delivery Time! From the "What Do I Do With These" Box over at '59 Topps?

The great Commishbob (from '59 Topps blog) contacted me a few days ago saying he had a few 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen cards that I needed.  Seeing how my collection of that set has stalled recently (I still need whole bunch of 'em), I immediately jumped at the opportunity to inch closer to set completion.

First up, a few base cards:

It's amazing what a slow, slow process it's been to even acquire the base cards from the set (and that's with me having purchased a number of blasters for myself last year)!  Of the three new base cards that are now safely tucked away in my Gypsy Queen binder, the Walter Johnson is easily my favorite.  I do, however, like the fact that it looks like Carmon's picture was taken with him standing on a sidewalk outside of a minor league stadium.

The trade also included some inserts that I'm still working on including a pair of Great Ones.

It's too bad both Great Ones were Cardinals (blech) but I have to admit both Gibson and Hornsby are worthy of being in the set.  Heck, that Gibson card is awesome!

Luckily, there were some non-Cardinals that I needed as well including a Home Run Heroes insert of Carlos Pena...

...and my third success story from my Elusive Eight list:  the final Sticky Fingers insert that I needed (Elvis Andrus).

For the tiny pittance that I was able to send Bob's way, this was an amazing haul.  However, the story doesn't end there.  Nope, not even close in fact.

Bob included a note saying that he had some cards in a "What do I do with these?" box.  After seeing some of the goodies, I can only wish that all of us had a box like that!!

There were a few rather standard inclusions (the likes of '90 Fleer actually aren't as common as you might think to be honest).  But those weren't what made me so happy (not that I minded them of course)...

No, it was the final two cards of the trade package that made this swap great!

67.  Brooks Lawrence

201.  Tom Acker

I don't have much in the way of vintage stuff (except for a slowly growing collection of original Allen & Ginter cards) so I LOVE it when people toss in some old Reds (or other teams - I'm not picky with vintage, I'll even take your Cardinals)!

As for the two vintage cards from Bob - I think the 1959 Reds cards are one of the most beautiful card designs out there...at least if these two are any indication!  I love the black background with the Reds running man logo in the bottom corner.  I also love the fact that they are known as the Redlegs during this time period (wouldn't want to be cionfused for a Commie, now would we)?  Great stuff!

Thanks for all the awesome cards Bob!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments