Featured Post

Delivery Time! No Wonder the Reds Sucked in 2008

In 2008, the Cincinnati Reds finished the year 74-88.  They were 23.5 games behind the division winning Chicago Cubs.  For comparison, the Astros were only 11 games out (and the Cardinals 11.5).  The Reds finished fifth (out of six) teams in the division, only eeking out a "win" over the Pirates (who were 67-95 on the year).  By all accounts, the 2008 season was awful (the Reds even traded Griffey and Dunn that year).

Why do I bring this up now?  Well, my brother recently sent me a SWEET card (more on that in a moment) but he protected it with a bunch of 2008 Upper Deck cards.  Looking through those cards made me realize just how bad the Reds team was in '08...and how glad I am that it is 2012 instead.

Closer:  CoCo Cordero

Yes, people referred to him as CoCo Cordero which makes no sense at all.  Maybe "ball four" Cordero or "two hits, a walk, and pray for a triple play" Cordero.  Those names I could get behind with my full support.  On the bright side, Cordero ended up as the Astros' closer just in time for the Reds to get a pair of ninth inning comeback wins against Houston this year.

Shortstop:  Alex Gonzalez

Like Cordero, Gonzalez seemed like a decent guy - the problem was he wasn't a very good ballplayer for the Reds.  The Reds current shortstop is rookie Zack Cozart who is having a fairly nice year (and has quite a bit of offensive potential as well as an already good fielding reputation).

Pitcher:  Aaron Harang

Harang was never the same pitcher for the Reds after Baker pitched him in an extra inning loss to the Padres. That said, I'm glad he found some success after moving on from the Reds - but I certainly wouldn't want him back over the guys we currently have (except maybe for Mike Leake).  I also don't miss watching Harang bat, what a painful sight that usually was.

Outfield:  Norris Hopper

Sometimes I think the Reds simply sign (or trade) for guys with weird names.  Pokey Reese, Homer Bailey, Yasmani Grandal, etc.  It's a wonder they didn't spring for Coco Crisp.  As for Hopper, well, the less said about him, the better.

Although the Upper Deck cards were a nice (or not) stroll down memory lane, the real prize of the package was this card:

That's right - it's one of those nifty pin cards from the 2012 Topps set.  As someone who didn't buy a single pack of 2012 Topps - I'm extra happy to acquire the card.  It will make an excellent addition to my Barry Larkin Collection.  I can't help but be curious if anyone ever took one of these cards apart to see if the pin was a real, working pin (and then wore the pin around).  You can bet that I won't be dissecting this card though, into the binder it goes!

Thanks to my brother for the cards - and to all of you, if you want to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments