Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

1998 Fleer Sports Illustrated: Finding a Box Hit!

Today marks the final official day off for me between the fall and the spring semester.  On Monday, it's back to the proverbial grindstone...  I suppose I should be working on writing my syllabi and creating homework assignments...but it's a lot more fun to open up baseball cards!  I can procrastinate a bit longer - after all, what's one or two more days after wasting almost all of my free time this vacation?!

Pack 21:
43.  Nomar Garciaparra

I like this photo quite a bit - it shows some of the downtime in the game of baseball!
57.  Rickey Henderson
71.  David Justice
117.  Shannon Stewart
139.  Randy Johnson

Mini poster:
16.  Fernando Vina

Only one double in that pack (Rickey Henderson).  All things considered, that could have turned out a lot worse!

Pack 22:
15.  Kevin Brown
42.  Ron Gant
153.  Brian Rose
185.  Kevin Brown
4 of 10 EC.  Editor's Choice:  Mark McGwire

The Editor's Choice cards are seeded 1:24 packs so this is a de facto box hit!  The background made up of all the old Sports Illustrated magazines is pretty cool - but otherwise this isn't anything special.  It's certainly not up to the same level of crazy for a box hit insert as a Pacific insert would have been!

Mini poster:
6.  Sammy Sosa

That turned out to be a pretty fun pair of packs.  Even after opening 22 of the packs I'm still amazed by some of the photography in the set.  There's plenty of cool shots!  I did get one more duplicate in the pack #22 though (Brian Rose).  The collation hasn't been great (in terms of base cards) but I've managed to pull 22 unique mini posters so I guess I'll take that trade!

Only two packs remain in the box - I should have it done before school starts back up on Monday if all goes well!

Comments