Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! Hot Corner Cards Surprises Me!

Over the past and a half, I've received a bunch of different PWEs in the mail.  Some were trades that were hashed out via emails for a few days.  Others were trades that I forgot about.  And still others were simply fun surprises.  Today's envelope falls in the final category - a fun surprise!

This one is courtesy of Patrick over at Hot Corner Cards.  Patrick sent me a trio of Reds cards - two of which are from the 2013 Topps Chrome set (a set that I happen to have an unopened box of sitting on my desk from Christmas)!  I'm thinking I might crack that one next - and who knows, maybe I'll pull some Tigers to send back Patrick's way.

Anyhow, the two Chrome cards couldn't be much more opposite in terms of players.  First, we have a player that almost every Reds' fan wishes Cincinnati could have resigned - Shin Soo Choo.

Choo's bat (and penchant for getting on base) will be sorely missed with this year's Reds team I'm afraid.  He played the game hard - and he never seemed to complain about having to play centerfield where he'd look the worst in his free agent year either.  I give Choo a lot of credit for being a team first guy!

On the other end of the spectrum, the second Chrome card was of Brandon Phillips - a player who many Reds fans WANT the Reds to trade away...and a guy who according to almost every account I've ever read is most definitely not a team first player.  In fact, it's been said that Phillips would rather go 2-4 at the plate and lose then 0-4 and win.

The final card in the PWE was this little beauty - Jay Bruce '87 Topps mini from the 2012 set.

I have no complaints about Bruce, he's a consistent, no nonsense performer year in and year out (and he's five years younger than me which makes me sad).

Thanks for the great surprise package of cards Patrick!  I already have a return package in the works - heck, by the time you read this it might even be in the mail or possibly at your place.  If anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments