Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Priority Flat Rate Box Exploration: Team Bag #6 from 2x3 Heroes!

Although I started busting a new box of cards (2013 Topps Chrome), I haven't forgotten about the large Priority Mail Box courtesy of Jeff over at 2x3 Heroes.  This is the sixth post (and, not-so-coincidentally, the sixth team bag out of the box).  I'll save the the final post for the last Reds bag - tonight we look at another team bag stuffed full of Pirates!

Once again, I've whittled the almost 30 cards down to the five that caught my eye for one reason or another.  Here they are in reverse order (as is my way):

#5:  2006 Fleer:  Zach Duke

I'm not sure I know much about this set - but it's decided old school!  In fact, it reminds me of the 1990 Fleer set almost to a tee (even if the design is somewhat different).  You still have the white borders, the team logo, and the subtle team colors.  Pretty good stuff, though perhaps not quite exciting enough for me to actually try and collect the full set (sort of how I feel about the 1990 set too)!

#4:  1989 Topps:  Barry Bonds

You know what, I actually like the 1989 Topps design a lot.  Sure, Topps is trying to kill it off now by using it in some sort of mini contraptions, but I haven't bought any new flagship (and probably won't) so the recent butchering is nothing more than a thing of legend and lore in my eyes.  Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

#3:  2000 Fleer Tradition:  Jason Schmidt

I don't care that I already showed some other 2000 Fleer Tradition cards in previous posts.  I love this set and by the time you are done reading my blog, so will you.  This is definitely a set on my "want to complete" list!  Speaking of that list, it's actually going to be a real thing in the near future - I sort of started it in terms of Pacific sets but there are plenty of other cool sets that I want to add to it.  Then it will be a matter of "ranking" the sets in terms of desire and then onward with the collecting fun!

#2:  2013 Bowman Chrome:  Austin Meadows (refractor)

Sure, I know nothing about Meadows (or probably pretty much every other player in the Bowman Chrome set) but I have to say that this is a sharp looking card!  I bag on Bowman A LOT on my blog - but the 2013 set was a set done right (and really, it looks like the 2014 Topps flagship except with the tab on the side rather than the bottom).

#1:  2013 Topps:  Pedro Alvarez (gold border parallel)

Another gold bordered parallel from Jeff - this time #1547/2013.    I have to say that not only is getting a gold border card cool but getting one with this nice of an image is even cooler!  The icing on that cake?  The gold border goes perfectly with the Pirates' colors - this is a true masterpiece of a card (and one that I have no plans to get rid of any time soon)!

Thanks for yet another fun-filled team bag Jeff!  I have one more to go yet (the final Reds bag) and then this box will be done.  That's probably good though since I have at least one more flat rate box that has shown up in my mailbox while I've been writing these posts!

Comments