Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time and a Blog Update! Future Group Break?

It's beginning to look more and more like my wife and I will be moving in the VERY near future which means a few things for the blog.

1.  I can't promise daily updates - and certainly not 2+ updates daily.
2.  I need to get rid of a bunch of my extra cards so that I don't have to move them all.  I was thinking about a group break of sorts where the cards to be broken are the extras and unwanted cards in my personal collection.  Would anyone be interested in something like that?  
3.  I need to make sure I'm caught up on the trades that I have already completed (and that have arrived in my house).  I don't want to have to move unsorted, unwritten about envelopes full of cards - I'd hate for anything to get lost in the mix and/or destroyed unnecessarily.  As such, expect to see more "thanks for the cards" type posts here for the foreseeable future.
4.  This doesn't affect Nachos Grande exactly, but I did decide to rename (complete with a new web address) my LEGO-centric blog.  It's now called Playing with Bricks and you can find it here if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Now that that stuff is out of the way, let's dig into another trade package!

Today's package comes from Dennis over at Too Many Verlanders.

Dennis held his own spring cleaning sort of contest a few weeks (months?) ago in which he offered up a bunch of stuff for people to claim.  At the time, I wasn't thinking I was moving so I claimed a pile of Braves cards for future trade bait.  While the majority of that pile went directly to my trade bait boxes, there were a couple of Braves included that might make my own personal collection.

Both cards happened to be of Rafael Furcal, a player who I generally have disliked but what I do like are the two sets.  I'm still in the process of my own Great Reorganization (something that I better hurry up and complete if I do indeed move) - and at the moment bot the 2001 Pacific Private Stock and the 2001 Fleer Ultra set are on my list of "maybe I'll try to complete these sets" list of sets!

In addition to the Braves, Dennis threw in a few more goodies that were more tailored to my personal interests.

First up in that category is a stack of six League Standouts cards from 1990 Fleer.

According to what I could find online, the entire set only consists of those six cards (and one of them is a Barry Larkin so you know I like the set)!

Next up, another complete set - this time 1998 Skybox Dugout Axcess Double Header game cards.

The full set consists of 20 different players (though no Barry Larkin this time around).  I had never heard of the set so I enjoyed looking the cards - plus I'm a sucker for game cards so this set was right up my alley!

Oh, and if you want to play here's a look at the rules:

The final card of note in the package was this TTM autograph of Brandon Waring.

Waring was in the Reds' farm system back in 2008, but since then he's jumped to Orioles' and now the Twins' system.  Currently, Waring is toiling away in the Twins' AA farm team hitting .207.  With numbers like that (and an eight season minor league career), I don't think Waring will be a future Hall of Famer.  That said, it's still a fun addition to an already great trade package!

Thanks a lot Dennis!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. I might be interested in the group break.

    The doubleheader game cards really bother me. The design passes the eye test, but the math behind the selections is not sitting with me well. We both know that when rolling a pair of dice that 7 should come up the most. Seven is supposed to come up one-sixth of the time over the long haul. So, I guess Barry Bonds is going to lead the league in triples? The Big Hurt? Well, the nickname obviously came to be because he got hit by so many pitches. Give me Stat-o-matic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested in a group break like that. I think the live ones work better, because I can adjust my strategy based on others, and it seems like that if the group breaker has his/her cards organized, then it's just a matter of pulling the cards as they're requested. That removes a lot of the paperwork for the breaker.

    Of course, my collecting interests focus on oddballs and variety of sets, but I can usually gather a good selection of cards if there's a good variety of releases. I think you only do baseball, which is really promising.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment