Featured Post

2015 Allen & Ginter: Box 1 - Packs 9 - 12 (including my favorite card of the first half of the box)

After this morning's post, I will be halfway done with Box #1 out of my 2015 Topps Allen & Ginter case.  It's been a fun ride so far - one hit plus a framed mini buyback.  Let's see if we finish off the first half with a bang or a whimper!

Box 1:
Packs 9 - 12:

Base cards don't get nearly the amount of love that I think they should...which is a big reason why I like to include at least one base card scan in each post.  After all, I'm a set collector first and foremost so base cards serve as the lifeblood of my collection!

For this morning's post, the base card of note was an easy choice:  Rocky Balboa.

I have to admit that most of the base cards in packs 9-12 were underwhelming at best...but I thought the card of Balboa was pretty cool.  I'm not sure why Topps decided to put so much Rocky love in this year's Ginter set but it has made for a couple of neat base cards.  In addition to the base cards, I pulled three more short prints bringing box #1's total to nine short prints in only 12 packs.  I'm due for a short print shortage in the second half of the box!

For the full-sized inserts, I pulled two more Starting Points plus another Ancient Armory card (my second of the box).

The sling doesn't seem nearly as cool as the Dane Axe that I got earlier - but the sling goes back in history much, much further.  In fact, the Bible dates the sling to about 3,000 years ago according to the back of the card!  The sling still is in use today, mostly during riots to launch grenades and Molotov cocktails!

My other full-sized insert was the third Menagerie of the Mind card - and it's the sweetest of the three I've pulled to date!

That is Cerberus, the three-headed dog who guarded the doors to Hell.  The image on this card is top-notch (and thus this card is probably my favorite card of the first half of the box)!

In terms of the minis, I pulled two more regular back minis plus my fourth A&G back mini (Julie Foudy).  My lone mini insert was my second First Ladies card of the box.

That's Grace Coolidge who according to her card back is one of the most popular first ladies in history.  She was even awarded a gold medal by the National Institute of Social Sciences!

And with that, the first half of box #1 is complete.  I think the Cerberus card is my clear favorite of the box so far - though I also like the What Once Was Believed card too.  I'm hoping for a bit more variety in terms of insert minis in the second half of the box...and as usual, I will remind you that I WANT ALL YOUR INSERT MINIS!

I'll have more Ginter goodies in the near future!

Comments