|A Vault Metal addition to my Barry Larkin Collection in 2016!|
1. Barry Larkin Collection: I wanted to be sure to get my Barry Larkin Collection up to at least 500 posts by the end of 2016. Unfortunately, I'm going to fall just a bit shy of that (494 Larkin cards have been written about to date). I can blame the slight shortcoming on my hectic fall teaching load this semester...I simply didn't have time to blog (in fact, there were multiple days where I didn't have a single post go live...something that hadn't happened for years before this year). I may not have hit my goal exactly but I think that I was close enough to give myself a pass this year (I'll give myself a B on this goal).
2. The Great Reorganization: Another task that I knew would be a long time coming. I didn't really set any specific goals for this other than to continue to make progress. If I'm being honest, I really didn't do much at all in the way of reorganizing until about last week...but in that short amount of time I have made some decent progress (though I am nowhere near done). I guess I'll give myself a pass here as well, but more like the C- variety of passing grade (as opposed to an A).
3. The Want List: I posted a big list of sets that I wanted to complete during the 2016 year. Here's how I did:
COMPLETED in 2016:
2015 Topps Allen & Ginter: A World Beneath Our Feet: BUG- 14
2015 Topps Allen & Ginter: First Ladies: FIRST- 1, 16, 20
2015 Topps Allen & Ginter: Hoist the Black Flag: HBF- 1
2015 Topps Allen & Ginter: Magnates, Barons, and Tycoons: MBT- 1, 5
2015 Topps Allen & Ginter: Mythological Menaces: MM- 7
2015 Topps: Robbed insert: R- 9, 15
2014 Topps Allen & Ginter: Outlaws, Bandits, & All-Around Ne'er Do Wells: OBA-01 Robin Hood
2014 Topps Stadium Club: 113
2013 Topps Allen & Ginter: Famous Finds: FF-CG
2013 Topps Allen & Ginter: Inquiring Minds: JPS
2013 Topps Allen & Ginter: First Americans: CM
2013 Topps Archives: Tall Boys: FL, FM, MS
2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces: 108, 115
2007 Topps Heritage: Then & Now: TN7
2007 Topps Heritage: Baseball Flashbacks: FB2
2006 Fleer Greats of the Game: Dodgers Greats: SS
NOT YET DONE:
2015 Topps Archives: Will Ferrell Insert: 7 (Got 1 of 2 that I needed)
2013 Topps Chrome: 1, 10, 16, 32, 119, 220 (Got 2 of 8 that I needed)
2013 Topps Archives: 237, 240 (Got 0 of 2 that I needed)
2013 Topps Archives: All-Star: CR, GB, GC (Got 0 of 3 that I needed)
2012 Topps Allen & Ginter: N43: 11, 14 (Got 0 of 2 that I needed)
2012 Topps Archives: Classic Combos: KK, LM, SF (Got 0 of 3 that I needed)
2012 Topps Archives: In Action: CR, I, JE, JH, KG (Got 0 of 5 that I needed)
2012 Topps Archives: Archive Reprints: 164 (Roberto Clemente) (Got 0 of 1 that I needed)
2011 Topps Lineage: 1975 mini parallel: 33, 103 (Got 0 of 2 that I needed)
2011 Topps Heritage: 460 (Got 0 of 1 that I needed)
2009 Topps Allen & Ginter: Inventions of the Future: 5 (Got 0 of 1 that I needed)
2009 Topps Allen & Ginter: Extinct Creatures: 1 (Got 0 of 1 that I needed)
2009 Topps Allen & Ginter: Creatures of Legend, Myth, & Terror: 5, 7, 14, 15 (Got 0 of 4 that I needed)
2009 Topps Allen & Ginter: Cabinet boxloader: 6, 10 (Got 0 of 2 that I needed)
2006 Fleer Greats of the Game: Decade Greats: BJ, CR (Got 0 of 2 that I needed)
2006 Fleer Greats of the Game: Tigers Greats: KG (Got 0 of 1 that I needed)
2006 Fleer Greats of the Game: Yankee Greats: WB (Got 0 of 1 that I needed)
2001 Topps Gold Label: 19, 41, 61, 62, 93, 97, 106, 108, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 (Got 0 of 13 that I needed)
1995 Upper Deck Collector's Choice: 186, 188, 189, 190, 192, 194, 196, 197, 198, 200, 494, 500 (Got 0 of 12 that I needed)
Overall, I have to give myself a solid A on this one! I completed 16 sets (out of the 35 total sets that I picked out for the goal). I also made a bit of progress on some of the sets that I didn't totally complete - in fact, of the 19 sets that I didn't finish, I got at least one card closer on two of them. Thus, I either completed or inched closer to completing 18 out of the 35 sets that I decided to target in 2016. That's no small feat - and it's an awesome accomplishment for someone who is a set collector such as myself!
4 Frankensets: I have an idea to make a pair of Frankensets...and I've been setting aside possible cards for inclusion in both Frankensets for well over a year now. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any closer to actually starting said sets...and so I must give myself an F on this goal.
5. Woodworking: This summer, I built myself a shelf for many of my LEGO collectible minifigures. I also built myself a brand new workbench and work area in my garage for all my woodworking projects. Finally, we redid my entire basement (aka the "man cave") which I will add into the woodworking category even if it's not a perfect fit. Thus, I have to say I rocked this goal this year! This one's an easy A for a grade.
6. Teaching: At the time I wrote my 2016 Resolutions, I wasn't sure if I was going to teach Calculus III in the fall (a course that I did, indeed, end up teaching). I also managed to get through my two new preps last spring...and I have started to work on my new prep for this spring already. Therefore, since I survived (and since all the classes went well in my opinion), this goal also gets an A grade.
Overall, I had six New Year's Resolutions in 2016 of which I gave grades of B, C-, A, F, A, and A. The only "F" grade was for my Frankenset idea...but truth be told, that was the least important goal on the list so I don't really mind. I do know that I must do a better job on my collection reorganization in 2017...and I better put that down as a goal for next year so that I can hold myself accountable!
I thank all of you for reading, commenting, and trading during the 2016 year. I hope that 2017 is better for everyone - and I wish you all a very healthy and happy New Year's Eve celebration (and New Year). I do plan to post some resolutions/goals for 2017 in the upcoming days...and I can only hope that I'm as successful next year as was this year.
Now it's your turn to tell me how you did - either via a comment below or feel free to leave a link if you wrote up a similar post on your blog this year!