Featured Post

A New Box Rip!

Nothing beats the doldrums of winter like busting a box of baseball cards.  For me, I recently discovered a box of 1996 Upper Deck Collector's Choice that I had hidden away (and promptly forgot about).  I'm basically not much better than your average squirrel who hides nuts all over.  Anyhow, since winter is in full force - and the bitter winds are out - I figured this is as good a time as any to rip into my box.

As you can see, back in 1996 boxes were loaded with baseball cards.  This particular box has 36 packs with 10 cards per pack making for a total of 360 cards.

Unfortunately, the pack wrapper says that you get two silver inserts in every pack...that will greatly impede my chances of completing the Series 1 base set from this box alone.  Still, it should be a fun rip - and Collector's Choice usually has a lot of neat photography that I'll be sure to show off as I go through the box.

Without further ado, here's the first pack!

Pack 1:
114.  Pete Schourek

First card out of the pack is a Red, not bad!  
169.  Tom Gordon
185.  Mike Piazza

This is a nice looking All-Star card.
210.  David Segui
318.  Tino Martinez
341.  Andres Galarraga

I always thought the International Flavor subset cards were kind of neat.  I like that you get both the outline of the country and the country's flag on the card.  A bit of learning with your baseball, I approve!
348.  Domingo Cedeno
You Make the Play:  27.  Raul Mondesi

The You Make the Play cards are a game that you get a single card of per pack.  The idea apparently is to shuffle the cards and spread them out (face down) and then start drawing cards until you get three outs - keeping track of your base runners and score while you do so.  I expect to get 36 such You Make the Play cards - and I already owned 2 (both strikeout cards).  Right now the game will be pretty dull...no one will ever get a hit!
Silver Signatures:
302.  Mark Carreon
310.  Ken Griffey, Jr.

I love getting a Griffey, Jr. silver signature card - very nice for the first pack.  

Overall, I would say that was a strong, strong start to the box!  The Griffey silver signature (even if it doesn't help my set) is still a keeper card for me.  I'm happy so far!

Comments

  1. I love some Collector's Choice! Sadly, this is one year that is not well represented in my collection, for some reason. I am looking forward to keeping up with your break. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed in '96, as I think You Crash The Game was replaced by You Make The Play. I'm not certain, but I think that was the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possibly one of the most fun 90's series' to rip boxes of, save for maybe Stadium Club. Just the Piazza alone gives this set so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Collector's Choice when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment