Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

1999 Pacific: Cover Boy Edition

Yesterday's pack of 1999 Pacific had our first insert of the box (a really nice Derek Jeter card).  Could we possibly pull inserts in back-to-back packs given how rare inserts are in the box?

Hint:  No.  At least not this time!

Pack 8:
16.  Andy Benes

I don't think the card design looks great with the horizontal cards...however, I like that the name plate reads in the same direction no matter what orientation the photograph takes.  The cards look much better in a binder that way (which is how I store my sets so it's much appreciated).

24.  Kelly Stinnett
83.  Gary Gaetti
87.  Jason Maxwell

Our head shot image variation of the pack.  Maxwell is actually the first player of whom I have pulled both his regular base card and his image variation.

A nice thing about the two cards is that Pacific even used different photographs on the back of the card!  It's a small touch, but it makes sorting much easier (the cards share the same card number but you can tell if you have a duplicate or a variation without even having to flip the card over).  Love it.

135.  Richie Sexson
208.  Hal Morris
289.  David Cone
368.  Tony Gwynn

Gwynn was the cover boy for this Pacific set.  Nice to get his base card!

419.  Randy Winn
446.  Pat Hentgen

Not a bad pack at all, the Gwynn in particular was a nice pull for my set.  Good stuff thus far - and there are still a ton of packs remaining in the box!

Comments

  1. Two Wrigley shots, one hinting at the Budweiser sign on the house on Waveland, the other WGN Sports behind the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:42 AM

    I never realized the thumbnail photo on the back was different... You'd think the Pacific customer service rep would've told me that when I emailed my extreme displeasure over having unannounced variations in the set (unusual for the day)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you called customer service to complain. That one comment made this whole box break series of posts worth it (to me at least)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment