Featured Post

Delivery Time! The Rest of A Completely Arbitrary Trade

Earlier this week, I showed off the first half of a somewhat recent trade with Brian over at Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary.  Today, it's time to look at the second half of the swap.

Much like the first half of the swap, Brian lived up to his blog's name with another team bag full of completely arbitrary Reds...but oh my, what awesome Reds they were!

Let's start with one of the coolest cards in the package - a sweet 2010 Topps Silk card numbered out of 50.

Now, I don't seek out the silk cards at all - but if one falls in my lap (like this one) I certainly won't turn it down.  The red and black frame certainly works well with Reds' cards as well.

Moving back in time a bit, here's a random card that I've never seen before:

Jason Robbins threw a perfect game in the Pioneer League back in 1994.  I had never heard of Robbins before but a quick check of Baseball Reference shows that he wasn't a half bad minor league pitcher for a few years.  He ended his professional career with a 3.90 ERA and a 35-20 record.  He had 8 complete games and 2 shutouts (one of them being the perfect game celebrated on this baseball card).  Unfortunately, despite my best efforts I could not figure out what Robbins left professional baseball.  His numbers would suggest he was a promising pitcher!

From a promising pitcher who didn't make it to a pitcher who most certainly did make it big with the Reds:  Joe Nuxhall.

This card is worth showing mostly because it is from an awesome late 80s Pacific set which celebrated many stars of baseball's history.  I actually have the entire set complete already (and I ought to show off the full set sometime on the blog) but it was worth scanning this card simply to let people know this set exists!  I'll try to talk more about this set soon on the blog, I think Brian may have inspired a future post for me.

Moving even further back in time, how about an original Pete Rose card for my collection?!

Oh sure, it's creased, got soft corners, and is off center.  But you know what?  I don't care at all.  Did I mention there is a big chunk of paper missing on the back of the card? Yep, still don't care.  I'm super happy to get this card for my collection - I don't deal with vintage much but even I know not to turn away a vintage Pete Rose card.

Wow!

And finally, returning to more modern cards - let's end with the last of the relics in the package.

I love the framed relics that Topps made famous in Allen & Ginter - even if I can't quite figure out what this cloth patch is from (the back of the card says it is game-used if that helps).

Many, many thanks for the great package of cards, Brian!  As for anyone else, if you'd like to trade with me be sure to check out my want list and make an offer.

Comments

  1. Can we talk about what Nuxhall is wearing for a second? What a uniform!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment