Featured Post

I Found 2019 Ginter in the Wild!

My wife and I took a shopping trip to Target today and wouldn't you know it, they had 2019 Topps Allen & Ginter blasters in stock (as well as rack packs and loose packs but I avoided both of those options).  I did, however, buy myself three blasters...this despite the fact that I have some hobby boxes of 2019 Ginter on their way to me right now as well.

What can I say?  This is the first 2019 product that I've decided to purchase, might as well go all-in right away, right?!

Three blasters to rip, I'm going to rip the first few packs right now!  Each blaster contains eight packs with six cards per pack.

Pack 1:
228.  Yasmani Grandal

Grandal has the "honor" of being my first new card of 2019.
280.  Bryce Harper
390.  Phil Rizzuto

Woah, card number 390?  I didn't realize that A&G was shifting from the standard 350 cards in the base set to a larger base set.  Actually, according to Cardboard Connection there are no base cards numbered 301-350 which means the base set is actually 350 cards as usual.  That's bizarre to say the least.
Baseball Star Signs:  BSS-42  Tony Gwynn

This is the obligatory "fit in a bunch of retired greats" insert set in Ginter.  The design is certainly colorful and I dig Tony's uniform on the card.
222.  Matt Olson
Mini:  365.  Ty Cobb

A short printed mini card finishes off the first pack.  My early impressions of the set are good (other than the whole weird numbering snafu).

Pack 2:
42.  Jacon DeGrom
142.  Mitch Haniger
299.  J.A. Happ
Ginter Greats:  GG-9.  Bob Feller

Another set full of retired greats.  This is a pretty cool throwback inspired design though that looks at home in a set like Ginter.
50.  Hank Aaron
Mini:  59.  Justus Sheffield

Pack 3:
241.  Kyle Seager
65.  Ozzie Smith
384.  Rogers Hornsby
History of Flight:  HOF-15.  Space Shuttle Endeavour

Alright, the History of Flight cards are freaking awesome.  I guess these will form a mural of sorts when placed together - something I hope to do once I open up more Ginter.  I'll be sure to show it off if/when I finish it.  The borderless design reminds me of the Ascent of Man (I think that's what it was called) insert set from a few years ago.
105.  Todd Helton
Black border mini:  53.  Willie McCovey

That black bordered minis are sharp looking this year.

Pack 4:
58.  Edgar Martinez
166.  1st Tiger Mask
264.  Yonder Alonso
History of Flight:  HOF-12.  Lockheed SR-71

204.  Cionel Perez
Chugging Along mini:  CA-4.  Cable Car

Woo, my first mini insert of the year!  I'll be collecting ALL of the mini inserts once again so please, please keep me in mind if you pull any you don't want.  I'm positive I'll end up with plenty of trade bait options once I get through these three blasters plus the hobby boxes that should be arriving tomorrow!

I'll try to crack the remaining four packs later tonight - Happy Ginter-mas everyone!


Comments

  1. What is it with Topps that they can't keep a numbering scheme straight in the last few years? Are they hiring Millennials with short attention spans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was gonna say Mr. Padre was my favorite card in the bunch... but I've been waiting for years for an SR-71 card. Can't wait to finally add one to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually wrote to Topps on Twitter to find out about the numbering in A&G. I doubt they will respond to me, but if they do I'll be sure to share their answer on the blog.

    The flight cards are super cool - they really stand out in the pack too since they are borderless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment