- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Featured Post
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
For the second time in a month, I received a PWE from Tom over at Angels, in Order. The first PWE was full of assorted Reds cards which was appreciated...but I actually think it was the second envelope that made me even happier despite there not being a single Reds card inside!
The latest PWE contained only three cards but all three happened to be on my want list! I've mentioned many times that I'm a set collector at heart so the easiest way to make me happy is to help me inch closer to completing sets. Tom was able to do exactly that thanks to a trio of cards from the 1992 Upper Deck set.
I decided to chase after the '92 UD set sometime last year. The 1992 set is special to me because it reminds me of my childhood more so than any other Upper Deck set from around that time period. As a kid, I don't think I ever had a single pack of 1989 Upper Deck and while I did get a few packs of 1990 UD, that set never seemed to appeal to me (believe it or not, I loved 1990 Topps more).
1991 is probably the single best year of card collecting in my life - my father bought me tons of packs of 1991 Topps, Donruss, Fleer, and Score. I also got a few packs of Upper Deck that year but nothing near the quantity of the other sets.
It wasn't until 1992 hit that I finally got a jackpot's worth of Upper Deck cards. In this case, it was my first ever box of cards to open (a gift from my grandfather). Needless to say, you don't forget your first box of cards and so I've held on to my 1992 UD cards ever since then. Last year, in the midst of trying to completely organize my collection, I made the choice to try and collect the entire base set rather than get rid of the 1992 UD cards that I already owned. Now, thanks to generous traders such as Tom, I'm nearly done with both the low and high series for 1992.
How close am I, you ask? Well, I'm glad you wondered:
So close to being able to knock another set off of my want list for good!
Thanks for the cards, Tom!
The latest PWE contained only three cards but all three happened to be on my want list! I've mentioned many times that I'm a set collector at heart so the easiest way to make me happy is to help me inch closer to completing sets. Tom was able to do exactly that thanks to a trio of cards from the 1992 Upper Deck set.
I decided to chase after the '92 UD set sometime last year. The 1992 set is special to me because it reminds me of my childhood more so than any other Upper Deck set from around that time period. As a kid, I don't think I ever had a single pack of 1989 Upper Deck and while I did get a few packs of 1990 UD, that set never seemed to appeal to me (believe it or not, I loved 1990 Topps more).
1991 is probably the single best year of card collecting in my life - my father bought me tons of packs of 1991 Topps, Donruss, Fleer, and Score. I also got a few packs of Upper Deck that year but nothing near the quantity of the other sets.
It wasn't until 1992 hit that I finally got a jackpot's worth of Upper Deck cards. In this case, it was my first ever box of cards to open (a gift from my grandfather). Needless to say, you don't forget your first box of cards and so I've held on to my 1992 UD cards ever since then. Last year, in the midst of trying to completely organize my collection, I made the choice to try and collect the entire base set rather than get rid of the 1992 UD cards that I already owned. Now, thanks to generous traders such as Tom, I'm nearly done with both the low and high series for 1992.
How close am I, you ask? Well, I'm glad you wondered:
1992 Upper Deck (Note: all silver holograms, not gold holograms) wants: 1, 256, 723, 728, 750, 773
Baseball Heroes: Johnny Bench/Joe Morgan: 39, 40, 42, 44, 45, no number header
So close to being able to knock another set off of my want list for good!
Thanks for the cards, Tom!
Comments



Always glad to help towards a set build.
ReplyDeleteEven though I owned a lot of 1990 Upper Deck cards at one time, and probably opened way too many packs, it never really did anything for me as a set either -- it was just really cheap back in the mid 90's, hence all of the purchased packs!
ReplyDeleteI didn't open a lot of this stuff back in the day. If I had to guess, I was focused on Leaf. I also stepped away from collecting in 1992 after the card shop I worked at closed down. But I did open a ton of 1990 and 1991 Upper Deck baseball.
ReplyDelete