- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Featured Post
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Tom, from the wonderful The Angels, In Order blog recently* sent me a PWE chock full of Reds - plus a book recommendation. Since this is a baseball card blog first and foremost, let's begin with the card highlights!
Gray is quickly becoming one of my favorite Reds. I love his fire and passion for the game...and for the Reds. He is one guy who seems hellbent on making sure the Reds win on the day he pitches and I respect that. The Reds started the abbreviated season extremely poorly but I'm hoping they can turn things around and actually make a run at a playoff spot (if the season isn't cancelled that is).
*disclaimer: Tom sent the envelope back at the end of April but I'm only now getting around to writing my post. I'm nearly caught up with trade packages though so hopefully I won't have such a long turnaround for future envelopes sent my way!
I think the highlight of the card portion of the PWE has to be this original Post Cereal card of Gus Bell.
The card appears to have been cut along three sides from the box and then the person doing the cutting decided to simply rip the card from the box on the fourth side. Despite the rough edge, this is a highlight for my collection as I think it might be the first original Post Cereal card that I own.
Another older card that Tom sent my way was this Deckle Edge of Tommy Helms.
I always appreciate vintage Reds cards but I have to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the deckle edge cards. They have a certain "sewing shears" home brew quality to them that I can't quite get behind (the same holds true for the more modern incarnations of the deckle edge inserts from Topps Archives). Still, vintage Reds are vintage Reds and they will have a home with me!
Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't show off one of the newer cards that Tom sent me - a 2020 Topps base card of Sonny Gray.
Gray is quickly becoming one of my favorite Reds. I love his fire and passion for the game...and for the Reds. He is one guy who seems hellbent on making sure the Reds win on the day he pitches and I respect that. The Reds started the abbreviated season extremely poorly but I'm hoping they can turn things around and actually make a run at a playoff spot (if the season isn't cancelled that is).
Switching gears a bit now, in the note that Tom included in the PWE he mentioned that he had just finished reading a book called "The Only Constant is Change" by Ben Orlin. Tom knows that I also teach math and figured that I would be interested in the book. Upon reading his note, I almost immediately went to Amazon (I know, I know) and ordered the book!
I haven't had the chance yet to sit down and read the book cover to cover but I have glanced through the entire thing and I think it's going to be a great addition to my math book library. Even better, there seem to be a bunch of fun ideas in the book that I hope to eventually integrate (pun intended) into my Calculus I (and maybe even Calculus III) courses that I teach. The current pandemic has definitely stifled a lot of what I like to do in the classroom for the fall (my college has determined that we will teach in person but everyone will be six feet apart and no group work). I'll save my thoughts on my own college's decision for another venue but as for the book Tom suggested I can't wait to dive deep into it!
Many, many thanks for both the great trade package and the book recommendation, Tom! As always, if anyone else would like to trade (or offer me book suggestions), check out my want list and make an offer!
Comments




Haven't touched a calculus book since my senior year in high school. Not proud of this... but I dropped that class the first week and took a mass media class instead, because the textbook was way too heavy to carry around.
ReplyDeleteI actually agree with you in terms of how large (and unnecessarily heavy) the textbooks are. I don't make my students buy textbooks for that very reason (well, that and the cost of them is crazy).
DeleteThe book is pretty good as far as math books go. I finished it a couple of weeks into the pandemic. I actually picked up a couple of new ideas/concepts on how to teach certain topics in Calculus. Fast read and pictures are great!
ReplyDeleteI love those Deckle Edge cards, especially since I finally completed my set in June. Love the "integrate" pun too, that was great!
ReplyDeleteUm, hate to say it, but I think you got your packages mixed up! I might, and thats a big might, have sent the cards, but I definately did not recommend that book as I have never heard of it before. Thanks for the shout out though!
ReplyDeleteUhm, oops? This is what I get for taking so long to get something posted... My bad! (though both the cards and book recommendation are appreciated)!
Delete