Featured Post

Pointless, Dumb, and All Mine.

Group Break RECAP: 1999 Topps Stadium Club - Series 2

 I'm back with my second (of two) group break summary posts from boxes that I ripped this past Sunday.  For today's recap, we are looking at the spoils from the 1999 Topps Stadium Club Series 2 (hobby) box break.


If you don't want any spoilers, here's the video for this break (both the 2000 Pacific Private Stock and the 1999 Topps Stadium Club breaks are in one video).



As expected, this box was full of all sorts of Stadium Club goodness.  I think most of us love Stadium Club for the base cards and this set doesn't disappoint.  As proof, here are a few of my favorite base cards that we pulled...


I love the unique batting shots but my favorite is probably the Vina.

...and some more, this time of the horizontal variety.



That Griffey is probably my favorite of the bunch but you can't go wrong with any of those!

In addition to the super nice regular base cards, we also pulled eight short printed base cards.



Four of the short prints belong to the Draft Pick subset while the other four short prints belong to the Future Star subset.  Not a lot of "huge" names in the group but I really like that Ramon Hernandez card and I'm super happy to get the Austin Kearns for my own Reds Frankenset binder!

Like I said at the outset, Stadium Club is mostly about the base card but that doesn't mean the inserts and parallels aren't worth discussing.  In fact, we had a bunch of neat inserts show up including three (!) different Video Replay lenticular cards.  The Video Replay cards have stated pack odds of 1:12 packs but we pulled three in our 24 pack box (Sammy Sosa, Kerry Wood, and Mark McGwire).



The Cubs made out the best here by landing two of the three (congrats to Ben Martin who had Chicago in this break).  The Video Replay cards are kind of cool and the motion works fairly well.

The other 1:12 pack insert in the box is the Never Compromise set and for this set we did pull our expected two cards:



Hard to argue whenever one pulls a Cal Ripken, Jr. card, right?!  The Never Compromise cards have a bit of texture to them with the way the cards were printed, it certainly makes them "feel" a bit more special as opposed to a regular base card.

And finally, the box hit - the 1:24 pack Stadium Club Chrome partial parallel card.



That's a great looking Alex Rodriguez card (congrats to Joe Eglesia who had the Mariners in this break as well).  

Overall, I was happy with the Stadium Club box.  You buy Stadium Club for the base cards and we made out quite nicely there...and if you get some cool inserts to go with it, all the better.  That's how I see and I think we did well.  

If you'd like to get involved in one of my group breaks, I invite you to join in my latest - another Stadium Club break (this time from 1998).  I also invite you to join my Group Break Facebook page so that you can keep on top of all the happenings at Nachos Grande!


Comments

  1. The video replay cards are really cool. Picked up the McGwire and possibly the Griffey. With the set being small and collectors getting 2 to 3 per box, they're one of those affordable treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. Was unaware of those video replay cards. To the COMC!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment