- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Featured Post
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
My love of modern Allen & Ginter cards long ago led me to look into the original Allen & Ginter sets from the late 1800s. A few years ago, I decided to try and collect one such set - the 1889 50 Fish from American Waters set which I finally completed! Now, I've turned my attention to two other sets from that era - one of which I get to feature today: the 1887 Flags of All Nations set!
My quest for this set has only begun this year so I haven't made a ton of progress yet. On the other hand, I have to think that any time I can get a single card from the 1800s that actually that in and of itself is a lot of progress!
Today's mail was a trio of auctions that I won over on eBay, all from the same seller. I'm definitely happy with two of the three cards - the Egypt card is the one I worry about. It was listed as "trimmed" which is kind of common on these super old cards (and for cards in my price range I don't usually worry too much about that). What I do wonder about though is if the Egypt card is actually real...the ink/color seems to pop so much more than the other two cards from this same lot - and the card itself shows very little sign of wear (obviously the trimming plays a role in that). I'm no expert on such things so I can't say for sure...but I guess I'll take the seller's word that it's real and go with that.
Of the three cards, my favorite is probably the overly ornate Pontifical States card - one of the two different Papal Standard variations that exist in this set.
As I've said, I have a long ways to go on this one but the fun of the whole thing is the search! Well, that and actually looking at the cards once they are in hand - such pretty pieces of art!
Comments




It still amazes me how rich the color these cards still have.
ReplyDeleteOkay... you've inspired me. I want to track down the Japan card for my collection.
ReplyDeleteAnd the Hawaii one!
DeleteReal or not, the artwork on the Egypt card is pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with this! Flags are fun!
ReplyDelete