Featured Post

Pointless, Dumb, and All Mine.

The Best of the Rest from my COMC Order!

A couple of days ago, I showed off the first batch of cards from my recent COMC order.  Today, it's time to look at the rest of the haul!  

Let's begin with the set that I was able to grab the most cards from that I needed:  1999 Pacific - Team Checklists:


I actually bought two of the Barry Larkin card (the other is already tucked away in my Barry Larkin binder).  Kind of annoying when I need (and thus have to buy) multiple copies of the same card...one for the set binder and one for the Larkin binder!

On the other hand, I do love the Team Checklist design from the 1999 Pacific set.  The team colors on the little futuristic loop-de-loop thingy works well and adds just enough pizzazz to the card to bring it all together.  Top it off with the shiny foil team logos at the top of each card and you've got yourself an awesome team checklist design!

As for my needs for the set, here's what I am still looking for:
1999 Pacific Wants:
Base:  260, 296, 418, 425
Team Checklist inserts:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 26, 28, 29
Yep, still a ways to go on this one but it was nice to grab a large chunk of what I needed all at once!

Next up, from 2012 Allen & Ginter comes the "Guys in Hats" insert set.  This particular set has been a thorn in my side for quite some time with me (barely) making any progress in terms of collecting the full thing.  I was ecstatic to see that COMC had three cards that I needed from the set at decent enough prices so I pounced!


I'm now only missing card #9 (The Garrison Cap) before I'll be able to knock this set off of my want list for good!  

Another 2012 Ginter set that's been causing me problems is the Fashionable Ladies mini set.  Like the Guys in Hats counterpart, this set is another one that's been slow for me to complete.  COMC didn't have as good of a selection of what I needed here but I was able to grab one card:


The Bride is now mine leaving me only two cards short of finishing off this set as well (I still need #2:  The Flapper and #10:  The Icon).

Sticking with 2012 Ginter, there was one mini set that I did get to finish off via COMC...the A&G back Reds set!


Yep, Scott Rolen was the final A&G back mini that I needed to complete the full Reds set out of the 2012 Ginter set.  I'm not exactly sure what originally compelled me to try and collect all of the regular, A&G, and black bordered versions of each Reds but at least I can say that the A&G portion of that frivolous hunt is now complete!

One hunt that isn't yet complete is my quest for all things from the 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game:  Nickname Greats set.  Like most of the stuff on my want list, this is another rather elusive set and it's caused me plenty of consternation over the years.  That being said, every now and then I do find another card that I need (sometimes via trade, sometimes via purchase).


Yep, Andre "Thunder" Thorton is now acquired!  I've still got quite a ways to go before the rest of the set is done...so if you happen to have any of the following available please let me know!
2006 Fleer Greats of the Game:
Nickname Greats:  CF, GS, KH, LP, MF, MR, MW, RC, RG

Finally, I threw in one additional card into my cart before checking out:


That's a 2008 Upper Deck Goudey short print of Kerri Strug.  Kind of a strange photo of her but I'll take it.  This is another set that I've been working on for years and years (ah, the life of a set collector)!  Unfortunately for me, there's a Tom Brady short print in this set that I still have to somehow acquire...and while I want the full set it'll pain me to spend good money on Tom Brady anything.

Overall, a nice bunch of cards from COMC and a great chunk of stuff to delete off of my want list.  Can't ask for much more than that!

Comments

  1. I really like the looks of those checklists plus the GotG insert, but that's no surprise since Pacific and Fleer put out some awesome cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I'd seen those Pacific checklists before - still think Pacific went by the wayside too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom Brady and short print just sounds expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old Kerri doesn't look like she had much time to prepare for the photograph. It's almost like it Topps used a candid of some sort for that card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment