Featured Post

Hand Delivered: My Brother Hooks Me Up!

About a week and a half ago, my brother and his wife along with my wife and myself met at my parents' house for a super early Thanksgiving dinner.  Along with celebrating Thanksgiving, we also celebrated my birthday a few weeks early (Nov. 18 in case you want to get me something)...  One of the things that my brother brought up for me as a cube of baseball cards - most of which were on my want list!

Since my move, I haven't had a lot of trading going on so it felt awesome to be able to knock off so many cards from my want list in one fell swoop.  By far, the largest chunks in the cube of cards was from this year's Topps Allen & Ginter's set.

Somehow, despite opening a couple of hobby boxes for myself, I'm still missing a whole bunch of cards (including, inexplicably to me, a single base card #251).  My brother did hook me up with a bunch of the full sized inserts that I needed including this rather pretty card of Half Dome.

Unfortunately, my collection of the mini inserts in this year's Ginter set is coming along much less well.  In fact, I don't think I've acquired a new mini for my collection since this past August!  While my brother didn't have any Ginter minis to send my way, he did have minis of a different sort:  2013 Topps Archives Tall Boys.

Despite the Tall Boys name, I still consider these minis in that they aren't at least the size of a "regular" baseball card.  Thanks to the three different Tall Boys my brother gave me, I'm now only missing four more before I can finally close the book on that particular insert set!  Progress made is a good thing!

Speaking of making progress, my brother also helped me with the 2013 Topps Archives base set (namely the pesky short prints).

Much like the Tall Boys, I'm only missing four of the short prints now too.  I wonder which set I'll be able to finish off first?!

One set that I know I'll have finished is the 2013 Topps Archives Sticker set thanks to this Yankee-centric sticker card...

Yep, that was the final missing Sticker card for my set.  Ending on a bunch of Yankees isn't much fun - but ending any set and being able to fully delete it from my want list is a wonderful feeling!  A huge "thank you" to my brother for that one!

Finally, my brother also picked off a few cards here and there from some of the older sets on my want list.  One such set is the 2008 Upper Deck Goudey set - a set that is so old now that Upper Deck actually had a license back when this set was printed.

Of course, based on this card you wouldn't know that Upper Deck needed a license...swimmer cards certainly don't require team names or logos!  I'm guessing Biondi was simply happy that there was no mention of Micheal Phelps on his baseball card.

The final set that my brother helped whittle down was also from 2008 - this time the Upper Deck flagship set.

For some unknown reason, I decided back in '08 that it would be a fun idea to try and collect all FOUR versions of the Star Quest insert set (common, uncommon, rare, and super rare).  Obviously that was  pretty stupid idea since it's now 2014 and I'm still missing a ton of cards from the various insert set. However, I am happy to report that my brother did a have a couple of the Super Rare cards for me including the shiny Chipper Jones you see above.

Once again, a big thanks to my brother for rekindling the trading flame - and if anyone else would like to trade, be sure to check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments