Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

2015 Topps Jumbo Case Group Break: Box #2: Pack-by-Pack (Packs 1-3)

I split the first jumbo box up into a pair of posts which resulted in a bit too much typing/scanning for my blood.  Thus, the second box is going to be split up into three posts with the hopes of churning out individual posts a bit faster!  We shall see how that plan works...

Box #2:
Pack 1:

Pack 1 didn't have a lot of base cards of note except for a Jose Abreu Future Stars card.  One thing I have noticed with the base set is that the photos are mostly boring (except for the horizontal cards).  You don't realize how dull the photos are though because of the drastic change in base card design ( the design of which I wholly approve of by the way).  That said, there are a few vertical cards that have an interesting photo including the Michael Taylor (Nationals) card.

The first pack of box #2 held six inserts including the Ken Griffey Jr. card above.  I don't particularly care for the design of the card but it's Griffey so I had to show it!  Plus, check out that fabulously 90s shirt he is rocking!

There was also an Austin Mahone first pitch card - I had no idea who Austin Mahone was...he appears to be about 12 years old in the photo but the card back says he is 18.

The first pack also held a 1974 buyback card of Horacio Pina of the Oakland Athletics.  I don't quite get the point of the buyback cards this year but hey...it makes for a change of pace I guess.

Pack 2:

I have to say that I really like the front and back of the base cards this year.  I have even learned quite a bit about various players by reading the back of the card.  For instance, Anthony Rendon gained 18 pounds before last season (and cut his body fat to 8.5%) and ended up leading all infielders in WAR.  Now you know!

The second pack held a pair of Mark McGwire inserts (both Cardinals) as well as a Rickey Henderson insert (Athletics).  We also found our first parallel of the box (an Alexi Ogando rainbow foil for the Rangers).  However, the big insert prize was the Yordano Ventura autograph for the Kansas City Royals.  Ventura is an up-and-coming star for the Royals with a zipping fastball.  Personally, I was happy with this autograph pull!

Pack 3:

The third pack was heavy on the parallels - we ended up with three in total including a Kendrys Morales (Mariners) rainbow foil (not shown) and the Carlos Santana (Indians) gold parallel that I did scan.  The Santana is #0386/2015.

The best parallel, however, was this R.A. Dickey (Blue Jays) black bordered parallel which is numbered 22/64.  The black bordered parallels are fairly tough to find - they are seeded 1:22 jumbo packs!

I hope everyone is enjoying the group break so far.  If you made it this far in the post, I would invite you to enter my contest where the last person to comment wins big!

Comments