Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! Catching Up with Catching Up with Collecting

About a month and a half ago, Jared (from Catching Up with Collecting) mailed me off a surprise package full of cards.  It took me quite some time, but I can finally say that I'm caught up with his trade (and he should be receiving a package in the mail from me any day now if he hasn't already).

That's right:  I caught up with Catching Up with Collecting.

You know I had to wait* about month to mail just so I could use that title.

*loyal readers will note that I am neither clever nor that forward thinking...I was just slow at sending a return package.

Anyhow, let's take a look at some of my favorite cards from the trade package.

We MUST begin with one of the more interesting prospect cards that I've ever seen...  This is Motor-Boat Jones.

Seriously.  Motor-Boat Jones is the name on the card.  And it's not a joke.

Poor Motor-Boat, despite his fast sounding name, never actually made it to the big leagues.  He did, however, provide a great laugh to me on a cold February day...so that's something I guess.  Also, don't Google search Motor-boat unless you are on safe search.

While Motor-Boat Jones was a real dude, the next card features a real guy with just enough of a fake name to get around any sort of licensing issues.

I'm not sure a set like this could be released in today's super litigious world, but hey...it's good for a laugh if nothing else.  I don't really know what the deal is with the angry little green worm in the middle of Deon's chains...that's kind of creepy.

The final unlicensed card to show off is from the Panini Cooperstown set - and it's actually really nice.

That's Edd Roush - World Series "hero" who had a three-hit, four-RBI performance in the eighth and final game of the infamous 1919 World Series.

In addition to the above cards, Jared also sent me a smattering of newer stuff including a gorgeous purple parallel of Homer Bailey.

Personally, I was incredibly disappointed with Bailey's output during the 2014 season...I had actually chosen him as my pitcher keeper in my fantasy baseball league...a big part why I finished 14th out of 16 teams last year I guess.

One player that didn't disappoint me last year was Billy Hamilton.

The dude is fast - and he's fun to watch when he gets on base.  I hope this year he figures out how to get on  base a bit more often...but he's still young so I have hope yet.

The final three cards include this cool Jose Rijo Stadium Club card from back in 1994.

The 1994 Stadium Club design is kind of wonky but I have always liked this particular card.  Rijo was a favorite of mine when I was little - and that is a feeling that is impossible to shake for me now...probably why I've accumulated a small stack of Jose Rijo cards that I simply haven't been able to part with!

The penultimate card of today's post is this Diamond parallel from 2011 Topps.

Do you remember the rage that was the 2011 Diamond parallels?  Well, unfortunately I fell victim to that rage and decided to try and build the entire diamond parallel set.  I have no idea why - I'm an idiot I guess.  Anyhow, I actually made pretty good progress...but if you happen to have any of the remaining diamond parallels that I need, please let me know.
2011 Topps Diamond Parallels Needs:  306, 339, 369, 380, 381, 400, 408, 424, 440, 462, 534, 537, 548, 550, 573, 579, 605, 612, 640, 652, 657
I've come too far to give up now I guess.

Finally, the big "prize" of the package was an autograph of Sean Marshall.

Marshall was another recent dud for the Reds...he never seems to be able to stay healthy enough to be effective - and his pitches look like they are terribly hittable when he is on the mound. That said, I think this is my first Marshall autograph so that's pretty cool!

Thanks Jared for the great trade - and, as always, should anyone else like to trade be sure to check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments