Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Nachos Grande Group Break: 2015 Bowman Highlights (So Many Parallels!!)

It's time to take a look at the 2015 Bowman box - a box that I ended up enjoying breaking A LOT more than I thought I would.  Oh sure, the box basically contains three sets per pack (regular base cards mostly of guys you've heard of, a first-year players set full of guys no one knows, and a chrome set of the same no-names).  Even so, there are enough other inserts and parallels (so many parallels) to keep the box busting fresh - it's sort of like a poor man's Topps Chrome rip if I'm being honest.

While you can watch the video if you'd like to see every single card, I will try to show off a few of the highlights during this particular post.  Once I get this post written, we will be ready to move on to the third box of the break (either Gypys Queen, Panini Diamond Kings, or Museum).

For now though, let's take a look at 2015 Bowman!

First up, the base design is pretty solid this year.

The players definitely "pop" off the card - so much so that I wouldn't mind collecting the base set (but I have no interest in the prospects portion). Speaking of the prospects...

The design is basically the same thing (with the addition of the "1st Bowman" bit on the card).  Seeing as how they are all players with their first Bowman card, unless you follow the team you've probably never heard of the guy...and in some cases, even if you do follow the team you may not have heard of the guy!  I'm not a prospector at all so that's pretty boring to me.

The prospect Chrome cards are basically the same as the regular prospect cards except Chromed!

I like the Chrome cards better - but still it's not enough for me to desire the full 150 card set.  Also, at only two Chrome cards per pack you've got an uphill battle to collect all 150 cards in the set.

With the base cards out of the way, let's move on to the various inserts and parallels.  I will admit that I'm not 100% certain on a lot of what I'm about to type...Bowman is a set that has always confused me - but I'll do my best!

We begin with a pair of parallels - the Zunino is definitely a silver ice parallel (seeded 1 per box from what I could find).  The Kaminsky appears to also be a silver ice to my eye - also seeded 1 per box.

It's nice that both of the box hits went to claimed teams!  The other two one-per-box cards also went to claimed teams.  We had a Rookie Card flashback card of Moises Alou heading to the Pirates...

...and an on card signature of Edmundo Sosa who goes to the Cardinals.

As you can see, the Cardinals (and by extension Brady who claimed them) did quite well in this box!!

Our box yielded three of the Top 100 cards (seeded 1:8 packs which is perfect collation).

I imagine the Byron Buxton card is the biggest draw of that trio - at least he's the only one of the three players that I've actually heard of!

We pulled four of the Farm's Finest Mini Chrome cards.

None of the four were serially numbered which leads me to believe that they are all of the base card version.  As the group break host, I was happy to see a nice spread of teams represented at least.

We also pulled one of the orange mini Farm's Finest cards.

According to the pack wrapper, the orange shimmer refractors are seeded 1:243 which makes this a GREAT hit for the Orioles!  This one happens to be numbered 01/25 on the back - a great, great pull for Commishbob who nabbed the Orioles in the break!

If one orange parallel is good, two is even better - right?!

That's correct...we pulled TWO orange parallels out of this box - both numbered out of 25.  Our second orange card is a regular base card parallel.  The orange base cards are also seeded 1:243 packs though which means that Jwillden27 who has the Red Sox in the break also made out like a bandit for this box!!  This card is numbered 19/25 on the back of the card.

Our final two parallels of the box consisted of a Prospect silver parallel of Sal Romano # 178/499 for the Reds...

... and a Prospect purple parallel of Henry Owns #026/250 for the Red Sox.

All things considered, I have no complaints about the Bowman box.  In fact, I was surprised by how nice the set was - and by how much fun it was to break the box!  I hope everyone else is having as much fun as I am!!

Still three more boxes to go in the break too!

Comments

  1. Thank you Chris, my ship has come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the signature on the Sosa covers the puddle he's standing in on the base card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd guess CommishBob is glad he took a Chance on this group break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to getting that Jonathan Gray card!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment