Featured Post

Pointless, Dumb, and All Mine.

Delivery Time! The Collective Mind Haul (Part 1)

Not all that long ago, I mailed Greg (from The Collective Mind) a bunch of cards from his want list and he, in turn, did the same for me.  Greg's package for me contained a smattering of cards across a number of different sets that I'm working on at the moment including a lone 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen card that I needed:

That's Justin Verlander, fresh off of losing a World Series (and him still not getting a personal win in a World Series game).  It's funny how some of the game's greatest pitchers somehow end up struggling on the biggest stage (Clayton Kershaw is another pitcher with a similar rap against him in the playoffs). 

Believe it or not, I still need a ton of cards from the 2011 Gypsy Queen set.  So many, in fact, it makes me wonder why I bothered trying to collect the set in the first place!  Too late now though, I'm locked in and hopefully I'll get this thing completed before the year 2030!
Remaining 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Wants:
Base: 
 1, 48, 303, 306, 310, 311, 313, 315, 317, 323, 326, 330, 331, 334, 339, 341, 342, 345, 346, 348, 349
Next, we turn to the 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game set.  This is another set that I'm still working on, though at this point I'm down to needing only cards from a single insert set (more on that in a moment).  I can say that I'm down to working on a single insert set only because Greg actually sent me the final card that I needed for the Yankees Clippings insert set.

That's Yogi Berra, the final card that I needed from any of the various great team insert sets.  I'm always happy to get cards that I need but getting that final card for a specific set?  Mmm, that's good stuff indeed!

As I mentioned a moment ago, the only insert set from 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game that I'm still plugging away at is the rather large Nickname Greats set.  Greg helped me out quite a bit here by sending along six cards that I was still missing.

A quick look at the included nicknames gives you things like "Le Grande Orange," "Big Daddy," and "Spanky."  I'm not sure you could get away with most of those nicknames these days! 

As for the Greats of the Game set itself, I'm actively trying to purge my leftovers from the set (including some inserts) - go here to see what I still have available.

Besides all of the great cards above, Greg also helped me out with a few more sets but those will have to wait until another day!

Comments