- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Featured Post
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I'm back today with more from my recent Sportlots box purchase. Plenty of interesting additions to my collection to show so let's get right to it!
Typically with posts like this, I tend to start with the oldest cards and then work my way up to the newest stuff. I think I'll switch things up today and start with the most recent card and work backwards in time!
Thus, we'll start with this shiny Larkin parallel from user mbeck265:
That's a Donruss Optic Shock parallel from the 2018 Optic set. There are tons of parallels from this set for me to track down but I have to say that if they all look as good as this one then I should definitely be going after more Optic cards in the near future! I love super sheen on the Shock card - easily one of the best looking Donruss cards I've seen since Panini took over the brand.
From user DelBacon comes this 1995 Stadium Club insert called "Super Skills."
Kind of hard to believe that I was still missing any cards from the over-production era that was 1995! Especially for a set as common as Stadium Club was back then. I will say, this is a pretty cool looking card and one that I'm definitely happy to now own. Also, in fairness to my own collection - the Super Skills cards were inserted at a rate of 1:24 hobby packs making them fairly rare (especially for the time period).
Next up, from user dhharter comes this 1993 Upper Deck base card of Barry Larkin.
You may have noticed that I scanned the back of this card - that's because this is the "gold hologram" version of Larkin's 1993 Upper Deck card. Basically, the gold hologram cards were factory sets while the much more common silver holograms were found in packs. There's a decent chance that I've owned a number of the gold hologram cards without even realizing it...but once I finally got around to sorting through my Larkin collection (using TCDB) I realized that even if I did at one point own a gold hologram card, I no longer did. That omission is now fixed in my collection!
Next, let's go back in time a bit more to 1990 with this card from user trpldcar:
That's a 1990 Topps TV All-Star card - a proper set that I never heard of until I was going through the various Barry Larkin cards listed on TCDB. According to baseballcardpedia, the TV All-Stars set was (appropriately enough) a set that was only available via a special TV offer. Unfortunately for me, I ended up buying this card thinking that it was actually the 1990 Topps TV Sports Mailbag card (a card that I actually still need). This particular card I recently acquired via a different transaction and so we end today's post with a bit of trade bait!
Still plenty more to go through in my big Sportlots box!
Comments




The gold hologram is more than "were in the factory set". Well, it is from factory sets, but not like 92 UD where every factory set had the gold holo. For 93 it was more like 1 set per factory set case was gold holo. So if there were 20 sets in a case, only 1 was a gold holo. Good thing you aren't a Jeter PC....
ReplyDeleteOh wow, I didn't realize they were that rare! That might explain why I'm still missing the other gold hologram Larkin from the set! Thanks for sharing...just when I thought I finally understood most early 90s baseball card sets, lol!
Delete👍
ReplyDelete