Featured Post

A Few Bucks in my Pocket and Procrastination on my Mind.

Every now and then, I get the urge to try to reduce my want list by making some purchases.  Maybe it's when I have a couple of spare dollars; maybe it's when I'm procrastinating and not doing work that I should be doing.  Either way, there are times when I go on a bit of a buying spree in an effort to knock stuff off of my want list!

This past week was one of those times!  I made three different eBay purchases (one card per purchase, so I didn't exactly break the bank).  Anyhow, I was happy to knock three more cards off of my want list, including a pair of cards from the 2015 Topps Allen & Ginter set.  

First up, from The Healthy Body set is this card of the Turnplatz.


The Turnplatz was an open-air gymnasium built near Berlin back in 1811.  Friedrich Ludwig Jahn was the designer, and his vision was to create a space for the German people to exercise and have their spirits lifted.  The Turnplatz was credited with sparking a popular gymnastics movement in Germany.

Even better, the Turnplatz card completed my 2015 A Healthy Body set.  This is officially the 13th set that I've completed in 2026, which, as a set collector at heart, makes me extremely happy to report!

Next, sticking with 2015 but moving to The Healthy Mind set, I was able to grab this card about eating food while in nature.


The Picnicking card celebrates enjoying nature and sharing good food.  What's not shown are the mosquitoes and ants, which also happen to like to enjoy your good food!  With the picnic card in hand, I'm down to needing only two more Healthy Mind cards for my set:

Interestingly enough, I need a chess card from the Healthy Mind set, and as you'll see in a moment, I also need a chess-related card from the next set, which came out the year before the Healthy Mind set did.


Finally, from the 2014 Topps Allen & Ginter set, this card is about Rock, Paper, and Scissors from the Athletic Endeavors set.


I would hesitate to call Rock, Paper, Scissors an athletic event, but it is something that has spawned numerous tournaments (sometimes for big payouts)!   Here's what I am still looking for from this set:


It's kind of hard to believe that I'm still missing 40% of this set; after all, it's been over a decade since the set's release!  I guess people are hesitant to get rid of a card about rolling cheese or punching people in the face while also moving a rook around a board!

The above three cards are what can happen when I have a little spare change and some procrastinating to do!  I'm certainly happy to have knocked off another set from my want list, plus I've inched closer to completion on two other sets.  Not bad for a few minutes of browsing eBay.

Comments