Featured Post

Cincinnati Reds: 2008 MLB Trading Deadline

I'm always intrigued by the MLB trading deadline. Each year, certain teams are labeled "sellers" while others become the "buyers". The sellers are typically teams seemingly too far out of the playoff race while the buyers are teams who still have "legitimate" playoff aspirations...

As a Reds fan, my team is a perennial "seller"...which, especially this time of year, begs the question: Who migt get traded?

Using my Reds for an example, they have the following talked about players:
P Bronson Arroyo
P Josh Fogg
OF Adam Dunn
OF Ken Griffey Jr.
C Javier Valentin
C David Ross
C Paul Bako
RP David Weathers
RP Francisco Cordero

Does it make sense for the Reds to trade any (or all) of these players before the deadline?

Arroyo and Fogg are both adequate starters. Arroyo was terrible earlier in the season, but has settled down. Fogg also began terrible but has since become passable. A playoff team would probably like to have one of the two to solidify that 5th rotation spot/long reliever spot on a playoff roster. If I were the Reds, I wouldn't mind parting with Fogg but I'd expect something decent in return for Arroyo.

Dunn and Griffey are the Reds "big bats"... However, neither of them hit for a high average anymore and both are considered liabilities in the field. If I were the Reds, I'd allow Griffey the option to be traded. If Ken Griffey wants to be traded to a contender I would attempt to do so. I wouldn't trade Dunn for anything short of a superstar (which won't happen).

Valentin, Ross, and Bako are all part of the Reds trio of catchers. None of them are particularly spectacular, but none of them are so terrible that they should be in AAA either. If I were the Reds, I'd be willing to trade any of the three. There's no reason why a team like the Reds should even have three catchers on the bench...trading one of them probably improves the strength of the bench (the old addition by subtraction conundrum).

Cordero and Weathers are two of the main cogs of the Reds bullpen. Cordero is being paid closer like money for a team that simply doesn't win much while Weathers bides his time as a set-up man after being the closer last year. CoCo hasn't been particularly lights out, but I still wouldn't trade him since he's only in his first season of his contract. Weathers, on the other hand, deserves a chance to play for someone else and could probably net the Reds a decent prospect in return.

Comments

  1. Excellent post fanofreds! I agree with the majority of what you wrote. I agree that the Reds should keep Dunn, and part ways with Griffey. I would definitely not trade Arroyo either. Ol' stormy can go, along with bako and affeldt. I'd trade patterson for some extra bats though so my opinion may not be worth much. I really like Valentin on the bench so I wouldnt part ways with him.
    (he had three hits, including a homer today) I'm still not sure the point of Andy Phillips becuase he never plays...so they can trade him too! Although apparently only the yanks want him, and that was only for a day or two. Go Reds! A sweep of the Rockies and they are back to .500! Yay! (slight sarcasm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great assessment. I'd like to see Griffey on a winner. Three catchers is silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get anything for Dusty Baker? That'd improve your team considerably.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment