Featured Post

Cooking Recipe: Corn Salsa

As you can tell by my blog’s name (Nachos Grande) and my old Sporting Blog’s name (Nacho Cheesing), I’m a big fan of eating food. Since I don’t have a budget that allows me to eat out every meal, I’ve begun to learn to cook and bake…all in the name of discovering good, relatively easy-to-make foods.


If your family celebrates the Fourth of July like mine, then you’ll probably be going to (or perhaps hosting) a picnic with enough food to feed a small army. In my family, we all get together on the 4th and everyone brings a dish and a dessert to pass. Some of the family members have certain (unwritten) expectations (like my Aunt Caroline who makes the world’s best macaroni and cheese or my Uncle Bob who bakes some of the best cheesecakes you’ve ever tasted). The rest of us get to bring whatever we feel like, with the hopes that the basics are covered by someone (the baked beans, the potato salad, the deviled eggs, etc). The upside to our system is that people get a chance to try a lot of different foods, and the various family members can try a new recipe if they wish. The downside is that some years no one makes baked beans (and other years perhaps three or four people make beans).


For my first recipe on my new blog, I’d like to present my version of a Corn Salsa that I had at a picnic a few years ago. The salsa is exceedingly easy to make (so long as you can operate a knife I guess) – and is sure to disappear at your next family picnic.


Corn Salsa:

2-3 Large Tomatoes (about 1.5 lbs), chopped
1 Jalapeño pepper, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup cooked corn kernels
½ teaspoon of parsley
¼ cup Italian dressing

Combine all the ingredients (except the Italian dressing) in a large bowl. Add the dressing and mix lightly. I usually serve Tostitos scoops or Wheat Thins with the salsa. Enjoy!

Notes:
You can use 2 ears of grilled corn instead of the 1 cup of cooked corn to create a salsa with a more “outdoorsy” taste. If you want a spicier salsa, use 2 jalapeño peppers. You can use fresh parsley, but I’m not ambitious enough to grow my own so you are on your own if you do that!




Comments

  1. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kicking stuff. Looks like a lot better than the stuff I buy at the store!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment