Featured Post

Cooking Recipe: Shrimp & Sausage Skillet

As you can tell by my blog’s name (Nachos Grande) and my old Sporting Blog’s name (Nacho Cheesing), I’m a big fan of eating food. Since I don’t have a budget that allows me to eat out every meal, I’ve begun to learn to cook and bake…all in the name of discovering good, relatively easy-to-make foods.

As a guy who's living on his own, I've certainly had my fair share of spaghetti, hot dogs, and deli meat sandwiches. Unfortunately for me, I quickly tire of the "same 'ol" food, so I have essentially been forced to learn to cook.

I don't consider myself an Emeril (bam!) yet, but I'm beginning to try and master the art of herbs and spices while making up my own culinary dishes. Today, I present a simple skillet meal that's surprisingly tasty (even if it doesn't photograph all that well).



Shrimp & Sausage Skillet
Serves 2.


Penne pasta (cooked)
12 large shrimp (cooked)
2 hot Italian Sausages
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1/4 onion, diced
1 tsp. Italian seasonings (mix of marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, oregano, and basil)
Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese


Slice the sausages into 1/4 inch wedges. Cook sausage pieces in a nonstick skillet until fully cooked through (add a bit of cooking oil if desired). Meanwhile, cook penne pasta as directed on package. After sausage is cooked through, add onion and cook for 1 minute, uncovered on medium heat. Add shrimp and spaghetti sauce, cook on low heat for about 3-7 minutes (depending on how "mushy" you want the onions). Thirty seconds before removing from heat, add Italian seasonings. Top penne with sausage and shrimp, sprinkle Mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy a simple skillet meal!


Note: Cook times vary depending on your equipment. I use an electric stovetop, so your times may be quite a bit quicker if you are using a gas stovetop instead.


Comments

  1. Oh that looks good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:59 AM

    MAN that looks YUMMY, even before my breakfast!! i'm going to print this out & make it sunday for the game day dinner!!

    one word for this blog

    YUMMY !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good (minus the shrimp).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madman: Thanks man, that's the extent of my culinary skills I think.

    Ck: That's exactly what I made it for, game day!

    Lester: I'm a huge seafood fan, so I consider the shrimp integral to the success of the dish, haha. I suppose one could add more veggies and it'd be good...but that's not how I roll.

    Thanks for stoppin' by all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Freds, i don't eat meat but i eat seafood, so this is perfect, i can just pick the sausage out.
    you should blog up more of these LOL! my new fave chef, Freds :)

    pasta is a great source of carbs, so u go with your cooking self lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CK: Between your diet and Lester's there's nothin' left in the dish but some pasta and cheese... Watch the next visitor is lactose intolerant, then we've just got a recipe for cooking pasta goin' on...haha (that'd be early days of cooking...noodles and microwaved sauce).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. It would probably work with mussels or scallops as well as shrimp for one big seafood delight. I will have to try this one day and see if it is as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great

    though I don't eat much meat...and no pork

    I could dig into that with the shrimp

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great. I'm a huge seafood fan myself, and I tend to stay away from other meats besides chicken.

    But this beats watching anything on the cooking channels!

    Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment