Featured Post

Delivery Time! Mail from Peter at Dropped Third Strike

I was going to write about a pair of eBay I auctions I won last week where I nabbed a bunch of Goudey short prints in one and a bunch of the semi-short printed green back Heritage cards in the other...but then I received an envelope of cards from Peter at Dropped Third Strike that blew those purchases out of the water.

Awhile back, Peter and I completed a trade (you can read about it here and here). In the meantime, he updated his blog with a list of cards he had for trade, which I commented on since he had a bunch I wanted...

I actually forgot about the post, and I'm fairly certain I never sent him any cards (which I'll have to look through my collection to remedy that as you'll soon see), but Peter sent an envelope that contained cards from FOUR different sets that I needed...

First, he sent me one of the last two UD Baseball Heroes cards I needed, Mr. Barry Zito. The only other card I still need from that set is number 4.


Second, he sent me the last Goudey base card that I needed, #170 Wladimir Balentien. I had never heard of Balentien before...but after an exhaustive search looking for him I'll probably never forget him (though I'll also probably never spell his full name correctly without looking).


Third, Peter sent a nice stack of Upper Deck Spectrum. I still think this is an ugly set, but hey, I'm a glutton for set collecting and it was only 100 cards (of course, it was only 100 cards with 4 cards per pack...) Peter sent six of my remaining needs, including a nice Freddy Sanchez card. As a Reds fan, I always appreciate the "little teams" getting a bit of face time in card sets, especially small card sets.


Fourth, after the ugly (but desired) Spectrum cards, I received a bunch of gorgeous Upper Deck Masterpieces cards, including Card Yastrzemski (another name I need to look at to spell correctly!) I loved the Adam Dunn card...but I feel bad for Luke Hochevar... If his ears are really as big and if they really stick out that far I feel bad - and if they don't, what a terrible portrait of him!


Finally, hidden amongst the cards I asked for, Peter slipped in an autographed Edwin Encarnacion UD Goudey card. The Encarnacion is all around gorgous. I love the Goudey set, I'm a huge EE fan, and hey, it's an autograph of a Red! Better yet, it's an on card autograph - perfect!


Many, many thanks Peter. I'll try to look through your lists after the holidays and somehow package up something in return. And to everyone else, I invite you to look at my want list if you'd like to make a trade (and take a look at Peter's as well to help him out).

Comments

  1. I met balentin when he was playing for the Tacoma Tigers here in Washington. just to name one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could help. I remembered you commented on the auto and it wasn't doing much in my collection. I figured you'd appreciate it more than I do. Just keep me in mind when you pull Yankees, Mattingly cards, Phil Hughes, YSL, etc. I'll keep on the lookout for Reds cards. You collect certain players? Barry Larkin or other specific players?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I do collect Larkin, but I really collect any Reds player as well as my sets of course. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Luke Hochevar really does have some ears.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment