Featured Post

2008 Upper Deck Mystery Question?!

I'm in the process of finally sorting all of my 2008 Upper Deck cards (a want list will be forthcoming). That said, I noticed something odd as I was sorting the cards and putting them in the binder.

Apparently, the backs of the hobby version cards and retail version cards are NOT the same, at least not for the last 100 cards in Series II.



Can you spot the differences? Notice the top of the card. For some, it's all white. On others, it fades from gray/silver to white. I believe the white tops correspond to cards pulled from hobby packs while the gray/silver tops are retail cards. I only bought one box of Upper Deck Series II hobby cards, so I have no idea if the same thing happened with the last 100 cards of the first set.

Are these differences on purpose? Does this mean the complete set has a parallel within the hobby? Does anyone care about the differences now that the 2009 cards are out?

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:21 PM

    Interesting. I remember at least one year in the early 1990s, Upper Deck used gold holograms on the factory set versions... so these tiny little variations are not exactly new.

    Aside from the diehard player collectors and variation hunters, I doubt it will matter to anyone.

    It is sort of interesting... especially to those of us who have to wait until next week to see 2009 cards in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am enjoying the sports card entries, and have even added a few links from your Blog Roll to my site.

    I might just have to get back into card collecting again. I haven't mess around with it in about 6-7 years.

    Good stuff as always.

    P.S. You can put the Noblesse Obligue Award on your blog if you want since I technically gave it to all my followers which you are one of them. But its your site and totally your call to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:30 AM

    I bought both hobby and retail and have none of the white topped cards.

    I have no idea what the difference could be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul: Hmm, I didn't know that about the '90s set... I wonder if they do something similar every year and no one notices most of the time?

    David: Thanks for stopping by old buddy! The card blogging "market" is always looking for new members, so I invite you to check it out. Heck, a quick perusal of my blog or many of the ones in my blog list will allow you to find a set that looks interesting to you.

    handcollated: Hmm, the plot thickens! I wonder what I got then, those white topped cards came out of a hobby box I bought (Series II only). They are clearly different, and all of the cards from #700 up are like that out of the hobby box. All of my retail cards are grey/silver...

    Anyone else find white backed cards or have some insight on this mystery? I find it hard to believe I'm the first to notice this since it's now 2009....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment