Featured Post

January is Slowly Killing Me.

Living in central Pennsylvania, I get the "experience" of all four seasons. Of course, central PA also offers its residence the joys of two "winters" often during the same storm...

I left for work this morning around 8:00 and had to slog through 4 inches of slush and shovel about 5 inches of snow off my car.

I left work a little after 3:30 to head to the mall and had to scrap about a quarter of an inch of ice off my car.

I left the mall around 4:30 and drove home in a near whiteout, complete with a car who did a 180 in front of me and ended up in a snowbank.

Welcome to Pennsylvania.

I was hoping to offset the trip to the mall with a quick stop at Target to see what goodies I could find in the card aisle. Of course, this is the dead season for baseball cards as well, so I picked up 4 loose packs of Topps Updates and Highlights and People You've Never Heard of Who Present Topps Heritage High Series Full of Even More People You Never Heard Of. At least, I think that's the official name.

I figured the packs I've bought were already manhandled by pack searchers, so I wasn't expecting anything great...which worked out since I mostly got crap. I decided to my own version of pack wars though...
5 points for any "good" player (good being quite subjective)
5 points for a player depicted as a Cincinnati Red.
5 points for short prints / black backs that I don't need.
5 points for inserts that I don't need.
10 points if I needed the card for my set.
20 points for relics.
50 points for autographs.
and -5 points for every player I haven't heard of.

Can any of the packs end with a positive score? Let's see...


Pack 1:

566: Bryan LaHair (Who? -5)
578: Carlos Gonzalez (Who? -5)
587: Mike Napoli (At least I've heard of him)
605: Greg Reynolds (Who? -5)
647: Matt Macri (Who? -5)
621: Jeff Samardzija (Black Back) (Already had this one... +5 for black back though)
UH44: Ryan Sweeney (Meh)
UH113: Justin Morneau (Finally, a legitimate good player, +5)

Pack 1 Total: -10 (ouch)

Pack 2:


564: Chris Burke (heard of him, that's a better start than pack 1)
604: Fernando Tatis (Comeback player of the year candidate in '08...ok, +5)
612: Jeff Baker (meh)
613: Houston Astros (meh)
656: Pablo Sandoval
691: Oliver Perez (Short print - and needed! +10)
UH54: Matt Ginter (who? -5)
UH63: Eric Bruntlett (the back of his card says he served wine at a charity function in '08)

Pack 2 Total: +10 (commanding lead...)

Pack 3:

510: Joe Saunders (Pretty good pitcher, +5)
557: Dallas Braden (who? -5)
639: Mike Redmond (meh)
678: Alex Romero (I think I heard of a Romero, but he was a Royal. -5)
720: Ivan Ochoa (who? -5)
RP1: Clayton Kershaw (an insert that I needed of Rookie Performer Kershaw, nice. +10)
UH87: Ryan Langerhans (he's not bad, but not quite good enough for a +5 score)
UH116: Odalis Perez (he was an all-star once, +5)

Pack 3 totals: +10 (Ooh, we have a tie for first.)

Pack 4:


580: Kosuke Fukudome (Ugh, I ought to give this a -100...I'm so sick of pulling Fukudome rookies)
590: Brian Wilson (unfortunately, not the Beach Boy by the same name)
610: Kerry Wood (I bet Kerry likes Dusty Baker just as much as I do... +5)
638: Jose Arredondo (uhm, who? -5)
650: Evan Longoria (He's no Eva, but oh well. +5)
592: Mike Hampton (Black back, but I don't need it, +5)
UH188: Ray Durham (good player for a long time, +5)
UH207: Alberto Gonzalez (who? -5)

Pack 4 total: 10 points.

So there you have it, four packs and the highest total was 10 points. No wonder these things were still available at Target. At least my want list is updated.

Comments

  1. dude

    glad you are OK.

    DC is totally inept when it comes to the slightest snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better in Minnesota we've had at least 20 days that went below zero and damn near a week straight without hitting zero. Oh, and it's not just cold we've got a ton of snow too.

    Sometimes the grass is whiter on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter hurts the day after Christmas. It just never seems to end and January has to be the longest month of every calendar year. Think spring training, it's just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:35 PM

    "the dead [baseball card] season" is an excellent way to put it. how many people are buying packs they don't want in january? how many? a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment