Featured Post

UD Timelines Hobby Box Break (Packs 1 - 9)

I bought a box of UD Timeline off of eBay (and Heritage High Series and UD Series 2, but those will be discusses later). I can only hope my box holds as many Reds as dayf's did.

This is my second Timeline hobby box (I stopped buying retail Timeline when I realized for the price of two retail blasters I could get 100+ short prints plus some autos...) The big questions:
1. Will I get another Boggs auto?
2. Will there be ANY die cut cards that don't have roller marks?
3. Will I get any cards I need for my set?

Let's rip 'em open:

Pack 1:
22: Jake Peavy
94: Brent Lillibridge (RC)
122: Matt Joyce
160: Matt Holiday
198: Josh Hamilton


261: Matt Kemp
329: German Duran (RC)
YSL 3822: Thurman Munson
Not a terrible first pack, though no Reds is an ominous start. I need three of the cards (Lillibridge, Kemp, and Duran). I'm completely sick of the Yankee Stadium Legacy cards though. I hope someone on eBay still is buying these things. Reds count: 0.

Pack 2:
25: Brandon Webb
62: Ian Kennedy (RC) - Gold Parallel
79: Josh Banks (RC)
114: Fred Lewis
120: Jonathan Van Every AUTO (sticker) (RC)

151: B.J. Upton
189: Glen Perkins
247: Matt Tolbert (RC)
Ugh. Only the second pack in and I had every card except the Tolbert. As an aside, I really don't get the point of the gold parallel cards - does anyone collect these things?! Reds count: 0.


Pack 3:
7: John Smoltz
9: Mark Teixeira - Gold Parallel
88: Burke Badenhop (RC)
105: Clay Timpner (RC)
170: Ryan Howard - Gold Stamp


178: Kosuke Fukudome (RC)
197: Joey Votto (RC)

233: Jim Thome
Another pack, another single card needed (Thome)...and another gold parallel. If the gold parallels weren't bad enough, what's with the gold stamped cards? At least the gold parallels I can tell from the back of the card, not so for the gold stamp cards. I got my first Red of the box but, of course, I had that one already. Reds count: 1.

Pack 4:
16: Lance Berkman
34: Nick Markakis
70: Jeff Niemann (RC)
123: Max Scherzer (RC)
169: Lance Berkman
188: Felipe Paulino (RC)
219: Jeff Francoeur

320: J.R. Towles (RC)
I doubled the number of cards I needed from the previous pack (Francoeur and Towles). Not much else to say about this pack, kind of boring for me. Reds count: 1

Pack 5:
27: Alex Rodriguez - Gold Parallel
48: Ichiro
58: Kosuke Fukudome (RC)
108: Craig Breslow
136: David Ortiz
208: Seth Smith
212: Randy Johnson
215: Justin Upton (gold stamped 084/100)
Now this was an interesting pack. I got three cards I needed (Fukudome, Breslow, and Johnson). I also got another gold parallel (that's three already). The real kicker was the serially numbered card. How many parallels are there in this set?! Reds count: 1.

Pack 6:
36: Randy Johnson
35: Roy Halladay
89: Brian Barton (RC)
115: Felix Pie
156: Manny Ramirez
183: Burke Badenhop (RC)
237: Joey Votto (RC)

353: Clint Sammons (RC)
Alright, a Red that I needed. I also needed the Clint Sammons rookie card. And for the record, the uniform that Votto is wearing in that photo is one of the ugliest Reds uniforms I've ever seen. Reds count: 2.

Pack 7:
1: Jose Reyes
17: Ken Griffey Jr.
98: Clayton Kershaw (RC)
130: Tyler Clippard
140: Chien-Ming Wang
206: Russell Martin
251: J. R. Towles (RC)
381: Brandon Jones (RC)
So I'm thinking this box wasn't the best purchase idea I've ever had. It seems every pack is almost all duplicates for me. Only two more that I needed (Towles, again, and Jones). No Reds either. Reds count: 2.

Pack 8:
12: Jimmy Rollins
31: Manny Ramirez
85: Rico Washington (RC)
113: Evan Longoria (RC)
145: Alex Rodriguez

181: Brandon Boggs

303: Evan Longoria (RC)
313: Kosuke Fukudome
Well, three cards I needed. First, I thought I'd show off the Boggs card WITHOUT an autograph. It seems easier to find the autographed version. I needed the Washington card, the Longoria rookie Minor League style, and the Longoria Timeless Teams style card. Interesting that this pack had two Longorias...though I did pull another Fukudome to continue my trend of all Fukudome, all the time. Reds count: 2.

Pack 9:
4: Pedro Martinez
49: Felix Hernandez
67: Justin Masterson (RC)
104: Chris Duncan
154: Magglio Ordonez
199: Kosuke Fukudome (RC)
289: Jake Peavy
364: Joey Votto
The last pack of the first half yielded three cards I needed, including a Red (Masterson, Peavy, and the gorgeous Votto card). Reds count: 3.

Overall, through half a box:
(Cards I needed ... Cards that are duplicates)
Base cards (1-50): 0...14
Base Rookies(51 - 100): 4...5
'92 Minor League(101 - 130): 2...7
'94 All-Time Heroes (131 - 180): 0...9
'95 SP Top Prospects (181 - 210): 0...9
'04 Timeless Teams (211 - 310): 9...0
'93 SP Rookie (311 - 335): 2...1
'94 SP Rookie (336 - 360): 1...0
'95 SP Rookie (361 - 385): 2...0

Total needed:
20
Total duplicates: 45

Other cards:
Autographs:
1
Yankee Stadium Legacy: 1
Gold Parallel: 3
Gold Stamp: 1
Serially numbered /100: 1

For potential collectors, the entire checklist is here. After I open and sort through the second half of the box, I'll update my needs and want list. I already know I'll have a LOT of these to trade, including many short prints.

Comments

  1. What would it take to get that Jonathan Van Every card off your hands? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be willing to trade it for cards I need and/or Reds autos I don't have, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got my set needs and doubles mostly organized now. I'll post what I need/have this weekend. You know, I might actually build this entire freaking set, crazy as that sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I may need 142 Pujols if you can hold that for me, and the YSL cards. Let me know when you update your wants, I have a ton of these, and still one hobby box to open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My want lists are now up to date!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment