Featured Post

Monday, Monday, Monday (TCDB)

Delivery Time! Group Break Cards from Colbey

I recently participated in a group break (claiming the Reds) over at Cardboard Connections.  I was hoping to nab a few new Larkin cards that I didn't previously own - and I wasn't disappointed.  Of course, you'll have to wait to see most of the Larkins as they will (slowly) be featured in my ongoing Larkin Collection series.  That said, I'd still like to show off a few of the cards I got.

I didn't hit it big with inserts or hits, in fact, not a single true "hit" and only one insert...which is shared between two other teams, so I guess that means I got one-third of an insert.

This is a Medalists insert card featuring Maddux, Rijo, and Swift - the top three "based on statistical performance over the past two seasons" according to the back of the card.  I have no idea why they didn't just go with one year, but hey, it was the mid-90s, anything went when it came to baseball cards...

...Speaking of which...

1996 Topps Laser - #73 Hal Morris

I had never seen nor heard of Topps Laser before...but the only crazy thing missing from this foilish, die-cut monstrosity is the spelling of laser with a "z".  Topps Lazer, yeah, that'd have been the ticket.

Of course, the group break wasn't just crazy cards, there were some relatively plain cards such as this nice one of former Reds' great, Jose Rijo.

And a more modern card of Johnny Cueto (pictured just to get a rise of Cardinal fans)....

And, last but not least, an Edinson Volquez from Upper Deck Icons.  I do have a question about this card, is this how all the UD Icon cards looked (a sort of shiny, textured foil look) or is this some sort of Upper Deck parallel special?

Thanks a lot for hosting the group break Colbey - I certainly can't complain about my cards...especially since I nabbed a few brand new Larkins!

Comments

  1. The Icon Volquez card is a parallel special.

    Lucky you! :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment