Featured Post

Does Topps Hate Bloggers?

A few days ago, I wrote to Topps in an effort to inquire about a possible blog sponsorship - or rather, a way for me to review Topps products for the upcoming baseball year.  As the author of a blog that's been averaging 200+ visitors lately, I don't think it is a stretch to say that my blog is well read amongst the baseball card blogging community (even if I don't approach the likes of Night Owl or Dayf to mention just a couple).  Anyhow, here is the (verbatim) response via Topps:
 Please be advised we do not sponsor blogs. 
Thank you
Topps CS Team
Well, that's blunt - and a bit snooty to boot.  I could have sworn that I have seen blogs with Topps as a sponsor, and I'm fairly certain I've seen more than one post here and there from people who received free product to review, so I'm not entirely certain Topps is being honest with me.  Rather, I have the feeling that my little blog is exactly that, little.  So little and insignificant in fact that Topps can't be bothered with my inquiry.

On the other hand though, what if Topps actually is telling the truth and they don't do any type of sponsorship.  Is that wise on their part?  On the one hand, most of us buy their product anyhow (and review it) using our own hard earned dollars.  On the other hand, there are plenty of products that I don't buy simply because either I can't understand them (pretty much anything Bowman) or because they are either out of my price range or nowhere to be found (Triple Threads, Tier One).  For some of those sets, if I had actually opened a few packs or a box, there was a fairly high chance that I would decide to go for the entire set...because that's what I do!  In fact, I ended up with a blaster of Bowman Platinum for Christmas (a set I didn't even consider buying myself) and now I'm trying to collect the entire base set!

Since my blog is so small (and quite honestly nowhere near the top of any "best of" blog list), I can understand why Topps wouldn't want me to be the one reviewing their product.  What I don't understand though is why they wouldn't want someone (or more than one someone) reviewing their product on the web.  Whenever I am researching boxes for my next group break, where do the reviews come from?  Almost always the Google searches yield results from various blog entries that people have posted over the years - NOT Beckett magazine articles!  Topps is really losing out in the long run (assuming things like group breaks are still popular five or ten years from now) by not having more (quality) reviews of their product out there.

I suppose I don't have any particular answer to my initial question, but seeing as how I've contacted Topps in the past hoping to get a full checklist of the 2010 Allen & Ginter relics that they produced (Topps customer service told me no such list exists), I can't say I'm impressed with Topps online presence (or customer service) at all.  I would think companies realize that the internet is best used as a friend rather than as a combatant, but Topps seems to act like they are the only game in town (which they are, for now) and that if they don't feel like doing something (or disclosing what they put in their products), they don't have to.

Indeed, Topps may hate bloggers!

Comments

  1. I don't think they hate bloggers, I think they just recognize that our value to them is actually pretty low. Their online and social media presence is definitely not a priority for them and, in the end, they sell out of most of their products so they believe they're doing it all right.

    As for not sponsoring blogs, the used to send review boxes to Stale Gum and A Cardboard Problem but I believe they stopped that for whatever reason. But if you've read Gellman's posts on Topps products recently, you may have questioned the validity of "Topps does not sponsor blogs."

    Panini still sends review boxes to some blogs- The Mojobeard is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. But none of us need review boxes for content- you're doing just fine without them so keep up the good work! -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once someone else gains an MLB license their customer service attitudes will change a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was going to mention that the girls @ A Cardboard Problem said their supply of review swag from Topps had dried up...but Andy beat me to it.

    He is right though Chris. You are doing an excellent job so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think any of us get the page views to make it worthwhile for Topps to send out review boxes.

    I'm impressed that someone at Topps took the time to respond, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate? No.

    Indifference? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Paul. I can't believe anyone even responded at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it makes you feel any better I don't advertise for Topps anymore either. That door swings both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josh F. nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh D., rather. Sorry Josh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment