Featured Post

The Group Break: A Sneak Peek!

It's almost 11:00 PM EST as I am writing this post - but you won't see it until the morning hours.  As such, I don't know whether this post is actually a sneak peek (as I labeled it) or a "first packs" of the new group break type of post.

You see, as I am writing this post there are still 12 remaining teams in the break (including a few of the "big names" like the Dodgers, Tigers, Mariners, and Red Sox).  Speaking of those teams, what happened to all the Red Sox collectors?  This is shaping up to be the second consecutive group break where the Red Sox end up as one of the random teams!  Of course, if the Dodgers also remain unclaimed (as they are currently), this might shape up to be one of the oddest breaks yet.   With all the hits in the break, I'm guessing someone will come through and claim the two teams but I guess we'll wait and see!

Anyhow, I promised a sneak peak, so here you go.  I had to open the 2002 Fleer Genuine box anyhow in order to figure out exactly how many cards (and cards per pack) there were - so let's start with that box.  As I mentioned in the original sign-up post, the Genuine box had 3 mini boxes in it...and each mini box contains 8 packs for a total of 24 packs in the entire box.

The mini boxes look almost exactly like the big box...


And here are the contents of the first pack of the break!

5.  Todd Helton - Rockies

26.  Adrian Beltre - Dodgers

45.  Bobby Abreu - Phillies

100.  Richie Sexson - Brewers

TC 8 of 25.  Tip of the Cap:  Albert Pujols - Cardinals

Like the last break I held, I'm going to keep track of pack wins along with the usual statistics that I like to keep.  It keeps things interesting for me - and hopefully for you (whether or not you are participating in the break).  The first pack victory of the break goes to the Cardinals with a die-cut Albert Pujols insert card.  The Tip of the Cap cards are seeded 1:6 packs which means we ought to find another three before all is said and done.  As a side note, (as of the time I wrote this post), both the Dodgers and Brewers were unclaimed...jump in to nab one of the first five cards of the break!

As for the rest of the cards in the pack, I must say one thing immediately...these cards look MUCH better in person.  For some reason, the scan makes the cards almost appear to be black bordered but in reality each card has a metalic sheen border that is the color of the team (the Dodgers and Rockies have a blue border, the Phillies a red border, etc.).  The team name and player name are both in shiny foil - the entire card actually looks quite classy.  Since I didn't scan the backs of the base card, here's Mr. Sexson's backside.

I like that there is an alternate photo and a team logo to go with the statistics and vital information.  I hope you enjoyed the sneak peek...and hopefully the entire break will be filled by the time I'm off work today!

Then the real fun will begin!

Comments

  1. Always good to start off a break with a Todd Helton I do not own. That would be #373 for me. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment