Featured Post

Group Break Bounty from Cardboard Collections

Last month, Colbey over at Cardboard Collections held a group which included a lunch box full of 1998 UD Retro - a set that I'm still trying to complete.  Since it's rare for a group break to include one of the sets that I'm still working on, I jumped in and claimed four teams:  Reds, Mariners, Red Sox, and Cubs.

After Colbey posted the team randomizations, I made a comment stating that I was trying to collect the set and to my surprise, a couple of super generous bloggers (BA Benny and Kyle4KC) both chimed in saying I could have any of the base cards that I needed for my set.  Thanks to the two of them, I got four cards closer to completion.

As for the four teams that I claimed, there were no hits to be found but I did manage to accumulate five more cards that I needed.
Yes, I know that's only three cards.  The other two didn't fit on the scanner.

I have no complaints for a break that knocks off a total of 9 cards from my want list...but that wasn't all there was to the break.  I also got my second Barry Larkin card from the set - which is nice because now I can put one in the set binder and the other card in the Larkin binder.

The other box in the break was a 2001 Fleer Futures box.  I don't think I've ever opened up even a single pack of the product so the cards were all new to me.  I can't say the set excites me too much - nor do I have any plans to ever try and complete the set...but I was happy to land a new Barry Larkin card for my collection.

I guess the point of the set was to highlight the rookies in baseball at the time.  Well, based on my four teams, Fleer did a lousy job at picking guys with "bright futures."  I ended up with 7 Bright Futures subset cards - let's see how many actually ended up with some sort of bright future...

From those 7 cards, I would say Adam Dunn is the only player with a legitimate claim at a bright future.  Oh sure, you might want to say Corey Patterson did too - but I hate that guy too much for his immense suckitude while on the Reds a couple years ago to give him any sort of pass (see exhibit A and exhibit B for proof).

Thanks for hosting the break Colbey - and an extra thanks to the fine gentlemen who offered me a few base cards that I needed!

Comments