Featured Post

Forgotten Packs: A Re-Ripping of Sorts

Yesterday, I mentioned that I'm in the process of (slowly) organizing my various piles and boxes of baseball cards.  I've found a variety of treasures during my quest to get things better organized - some of which I'm sure I'll show off on the blog in due time.  The topic for today's post might not qualify as a true treasure...but the find did provide me with a bit of entertainment.

You see, I uncovered five packs of 2011 Topps Update Series baseball packs.

Yes, all five packs were already opened but the cards themselves were still within each wrapper.  Since I had forgotten about the packs themselves, I certainly forgot about what was inside the packs!  Thus, it's a re-ripping of sorts!

(And let's face it, when the budget doesn't allow baseball card purchasing, you have to find joy in busting packs in whatever way is possible, even if that means busting previously opened packs.)

Pack 1:
Edwin Jackson
David Ortiz
Jonny Venters
Michael Pineda
Alexi Ogando
Gerald Laird
Grant Balfour
Kimball Champion:  Paul Molitor

I think I vaguely remember opening these packs and being undecided whether or not I'd try to complete the full update series set.  Obviously, I must have decided at some point not to go for the set (which was probably a good choice given how many of the regular set's inserts that I'm still chasing).

Pack 2:
Bill Hall
Brandon McCarthy
Juan Nicasio
Brandon Crawford
Edgar Renteria

Mike Trout

Prince Fielder
Kimball Champion:  Frank Robinson

The first pack didn't provide me any "keepers" but this pack certainly did.  I'll probably hold on to the Mike Trout rookie card and the Edgar Renteria card will go into the Reds binder.  Of course, the real prize of the pack is the mini Frank Robinson card - gorgeous!

Pack 3:
Andrew McCutchen
David Ortiz
Jamey Carroll
Wilson Ramos
Andy Dirks
Cory Gerrin
Jayson Werth
Topps Town:  Alex Rodriguez

I chased both Series 1 and Series 2 Topps Town cards, I certainly won't make that mistake with the Update set!  No keepers in this pack, though the McCutchen is a nice enough card.

Pack 4:
Javier Lopez
Darren Oliver
Chad Qualls
Kyle Seager
Sean Burroughs
Carlos Beltran
Topps Town:  Vladimir Guerrero
Cognac parallel:  James Shields

That's my first cognac parallel card pulled from a pack.  I have to admit, the cognacs are pretty sweet looking!

Pack 5:
Matt Downs
LaTroy Hawkins
Mark Melancon
Jered Weaver
Todd Frazier

Jose Altuve
Alex Avila
Topps Town:  Ricky Romero

I'm extremely happy to land the Todd Frazier rookie card!  A great ending to a pretty nice quintet of packs!

Maybe I should always rip my packs, then set them aside for about a year before re-ripping them.  Double the fun, half the cost!

Comments

  1. I have the sparkly version of that Todd Frazier card if you need it. That Trout card at last check was going for some pretty astounding prices on eBay considering it's just a garden variety Topps base card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding things I forgot I had!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment