Featured Post

The Non-Boring Trade Post?

As someone who has completed almost 100 trades in 2012 (and well over 100 trades the past two years), I've had many, many opportunities to write trade posts.  Unfortunately, unless I receive some sort of extremely unique, weird, or otherwise idea-inducing card, I believe my trade post write-ups are usually boring.  Of course, they aren't boring (or at least I hope they aren't) for the person who sent me the trade package, but for everyone else it's usually a giant yawn-inducing blog entry.

The question is:  How to fix it?

I don't want to give up the trade posts entirely.  People take the time to contact me, check out my want list, and eventually agree to a trade.  That time should be rewarded by a trade post.  Not to mention, I like to use the trade posts to show appreciation (and occasionally spark someone else's interest in working out a trade with me)!  So, in short, no, I won't give up the trade posts entirely.

I do want to figure out how to make the posts more interesting.

For instance, one of my latest swaps was with blog reader Patrick.  Patrick sent me a small stack of 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter mini cards.  Now, everyone has seen more than their fair share of 2012 Allen & Ginter cards by this point in the year.  Heck, I've shown a ton of the set (and the minis) on my blog already.

That said, I certainly appreciate the trade - it helped me move a bit closer to my goal of completing the entire regular back mini set.  That can't be emphasized enough.  The problem is, I don't have much exciting to say about the cards.  Partially it's because I'm a sort of boring person.  The other part is probably the fact that I'm not a great writer.  Put the two together and well...you've got a complete lack of ideas.

In the end, I hope it's sometimes "enough" to simply say thanks to someone who sent me a pile of cards that I need for my set(s), even I can't come up with a super creative entry.  In the end, I appreciate the cards - and that's what counts...not to mention my set binder just got a little bit closer to being complete!

Want to trade (and then read a boring trade post) - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments