Featured Post

A TCDB Mailbag on One of the Best Mondays of the Year!

More Vintage (Pre-1900) Allen & Ginter Cards for My Collection!

We take a brief respite from the group break tonight in order to look at an exciting mail day for me.  I recently received three new vintage Allen & Ginter cards for my collection.  Two of the cards go into my set that I'm working on (more on that in a moment) while the third I purchased "just because."

We'll begin with the third card:

Yep, a beautiful looking "canary bird" from the 1890 Allen & Ginter Song Birds of the World set.  As far as old cards go, the front of this one is pretty darn nice.  Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the back.

This card was clearly glued into an album and then later ripped off the album page.  The top half of the card is about half as thick as the bottom portion of the card - all that cardboard loss can be blamed on an overly excessive gluing job done by the card's original owner.

I like the Song Bird set quite a bit - though not as much as some of the other sets that I've acquired cards from.

Speaking of other sets...  The real reason for my purchase was to continue to add to my 1889 Allen & Ginter 50 Fish from American Waters set.  I've been working on this set for quite some time (you can find all my progress here).  However, the set itself is over 100 years old - and I have to operate on a strict budget.  Those two facts mean it's a slow go...but it's still quite a bit of fun!

My newest additions to my set of fish include one actual fish and one non-fish card!  We begin with the Mackerel.

This particular card is pretty nice on the front (though there is some staining evident).  The actual image of the Mackerel is nice though, and that's really all I'm looking for when I considering buying one of these old cards!

The back of the Mackerel isn't too bad - certainly much better than the Canary bird's card back!

As you can see, there's some paper loss and discoloration - but when you have a limited budget those are the types of concessions that you have to make!

The third, and final, original Allen & Ginter card that I purchased also belongs to the Fish set though it isn't actually a card of a fish.  Instead, it's a Crab!

I've been wanting this card for quite some time - I love, love, love the picture!  The front of the card is in quite good shape (at least by my standards).  The back isn't too shabby either though it's not quite as nice as the Mackerel's card back in terms of overall condition.

Personally, I'm happy with my purchase - it's hard to be real picky when dealing with cards that are over a century old!  I'm also pleased to say that I now own 48% of the Fish  from American Waters set!  To me, that's an amazing feat - and it gives me hope that I might be able to cross over the 50% threshold sometime in 2014.

Comments

  1. Those are awesome. Still one of the best non-sports sets ever made. I doubt Topps would have the balls to do a fish set in A&G. And at least the money side of those cards looks great. Love that crab.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment