Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

UD Past Time Pennants Countdown: A Dusk Card, a Scoreboard Card, and a Gwynn.

The first (or, rather last) nine cards in the 2005 UD Past Time Pennants have been ranked.  We now turn our attention to the next three cards in the countdown.

81.  Bill Mazeroski

Things I like about this card:
1.  The dusk background.  Night Owl probably wouldn't count this in his night card binder but for me it's a nice looking card.
2.  The "barely there" vegetation in the background.
3.  The Pirates' vest.

80.  Catfish Hunter

It was painful to put a card with such a nice shot of a scoreboard this low in the rankings.  However, it's a boring shot of a scoreboard since there are no scores showing!  This must have been taking on a Sunday afternoon when the rest of the team was on the team bus or something...  *yawn*  That said, the background is quite interesting to me - maybe someday I'll try to figure out where each photo was taken.

79.  Tony Gwynn

Another color photo, still no black and whites on the countdown (don't worry, we are getting closer to our first monochromatic photo)!  This one isn't the most exciting picture that I've ever seen but for some reason the image quality really "pops."  I don't know how to better explain it than that.  

We've now uncovered the first twelve (out of 90) cards in the countdown.  The worst few cards were easy to pick but the countdown got much, much more challenging to figure out as I moved into the 70s and then 60s.  Pretty soon, I'm guessing people will start saying cards that I assigned a rank in the 50s (or possibly even worse) should be top ten material.  Will you agree with my choices?  Have you figured out my top 10 cards yet?  I'll give you a hint:  Only one Reds' card made my Top 10.

2005 Upper Deck Past Time Pennants - Best Cards, In Order.
Note:  The card number is the number in parenthesis after the player.
#90.  Ron Guidry (74)
#89.  Paul Molitor (62)
#88.  Will Clark (87)
#87.  Kirby Puckett (50)
#86.  Carl Yastrzemski (14)
#85.  Mike Schmidt (57)
#84.  Keith Hernandez (49)
#83.  Jim Rice (43)
#82.  Gary Carter (32)
#81.  Bill Mazeroski (4)
#80.  Catfish Hunter (16)
#79.  Tony Gwynn (76)

Comments

  1. Here are a few of my favorites:

    #47 Johnny Podres (Looks like a painting)
    #88 Willie McCovey (watchin' it fly)
    #6 Bob Feller (lean back... lean back)
    #73/#79 Rollie & Steve (two of my favorites, two b&w photos, exact same pose)

    And if I had to pick a Red in the top 10, I'd go with...

    #46 Johnny Bench (in his crouch... looking down 3rd base line)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment